Low carb and gluten free apple fritter muffins that have just 2 net carbs each? Inconceivable! These yummy muffins are made with zucchini in place of the apples but you’d never know it from the flavor. Easy to make, they freeze well for a delicious breakfast treat anytime.
For this recipe you’ll need: butter, zucchini, cinnamon, cloves, granulated sugar free sweetener,salt, sugar free cinnamon vanilla coffee syrup, apple cider vinegar, eggs, rum, almond flour, cake batter whey protein powder, coconut flour, hemp seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cashew milk, heavy cream, cream cheese, ground pecans or other nuts if desired for topping.
?If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the low carb apple fritter muffins recipe.
When I was growing up my parents used to take me to a restaurant that put hot apple fritters on the table instead of the usual bread basket. I loved those things! The tangy apple, sweet and spicy sugar, and crisp fritter batter was totally addictive.
These muffins remind me of those fritters. I based the recipe off an Apple Fritter Bread recipe that I had posted on my other blog but made all of the changes I needed to to ensure that it was as low carb as I could get it. I made this recipe into muffins instead of bread because of the individual size. In my house I am the only one that low-carbs. Having a big loaf of low carb bread is harder to manage than having muffins I can just toss in the freezer. If you’d like to make a loaf of quick bread then you can follow the same instructions and make it in a bread pan. You’ll probably need to cook it at 350F for 45 minutes to an hour.
I let the batter sit for about 15 minutes because it helps the coconut flour to soften up and keeps them from having that weird dry texture that so many things with coconut flour have. It always reminds me of sawdust. Give these a try and let me know what you think. I loved them… probably a little too much.
I totally didn’t eat three of them. Must have been the dog.
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
Erythritol is the main sugar free granulated sweetener that I use. Other ingredients used in this recipe are:
Low Carb Apple Fritter Muffins Recipe
Apple Fritter Muffins (Low Carb and GF)
- 1/3 cup Ground pecans walnuts, or nuts of choice
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan.
- Add the zucchini and saute until soft and tender.
- Stir in the cinnamon, cloves, sweetener, and salt.
- Add the sugar free syrup and apple cider vinegar.
- Simmer until the liquid evaporates, stirring often and watching carefully so it doesn't scorch.
- Set aside.
- Beat the sweetener and the butter until well mixed and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and rum until smooth.
- With mixer on low add the almond flour, whey protein powder, coconut flour, hemp seed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour in the cashew milk and heavy cream.
- Beat until well blended.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- add a layer of batter in each muffin cup.
- Add a layer of the zucchini mixture.
- Add another layer of batter and top with a layer of zucchini mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and done.
- Warm the cream cheese and butter in the microwave until very soft.
- Stir to blend.
- Stir in the syrup.
- Use to top the muffins while they are still hot.
- Sprinkle with ground nuts if desired. (not figured into nutritional info)