Au gratin faux-tatoes are low in carbs and high in cheesy, smoky goodness. Layers of thinly sliced cauliflower, cheese, and onion are microwaved for just a few minutes. When the dish comes out of the microwave you’ve got a low carb dish so delicious you’ll swear it was the real thing.
For this recipe you’ll need: Raw cauliflower, shredded cheddar cheese, heavy cream, dried onions, salt, pepper, almond meal, smoked paprika, butter, plastic wrap, and a microwaveable dish (1 cup sized)
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the easy au gratin faux-tatoes recipe.
Au gratin faux-tatoes are very similar in flavor and texture to au gratin potatoes. You can use them in much the same way, too. They are delicious as a side dish, of ?course, but add some diced ham, smoked sausage, bacon, or cooked ground beef between the layers and you have a great main dish casserole, too.
And all for just 6.1 net carbs.
I don’t know about you but I think the holidays are something like walking through a mine field. There is potential for carbs to jump in your mouth around every turn. And yes, I do mean that carbs actually jump in your mouth – I’ve had a mouthful of chocolate cupcake with no recollection of how it got there. Sneaky, sneaky carbs.
Anyway, there are certainly lots of opportunities to fall off the low carb wagon. One things that helps most of us is having low carb versions of the foods we love. This recipe for au gratin faux-tatoes really does have the texture and flavor of regular au gratin potatoes. The cheese sauce is creamy and thick with a little smoky taste from the smoked paprika and almond flour adds the perfect “bread crumb” type of texture.
If you think that “low carb comfort food” is an oxymoron you need to taste this low carb version of potatoes au gratin. Here’s a big plus — it only takes about 3 minutes to make.
The recipe is easy to double or quadruple if you want to make more than one serving. Just make it in a casserole dish and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, covered with aluminum foil. Take the foil off the last 5 minutes or so to let the almond crumbs get crunchy.
Table of Contents
Used in this Recipe
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something we may get a small commission from Amazon. This is used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Please know this does not change the price you see on Amazon. Thank you for your help and support of Lowcarb-ology!
Au Gratin Faux-Tatoes Recipe
Au Gratin Faux-Tatoes: Low Carb Comfort Food
- Make sure to slice the cauliflower lengthwise so that it holds together and looks a little like frilly potato slices.
- Add the cauliflower to a microwave safe dish, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Let sit for about 1 minute then carefully remove plastic wrap.
- Drain well.
- Gently pat dry with paper towel
- Grease a microwave safe (1 cup size) dish with butter.
- Arrange a layer of cauliflower on the bottom.
- Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and a pinch of the onion powder.
- Cover with some of the cheese.
- Repeat layers until there is no more cauliflower.
- End with the cheese.
- Mix 1 tablespoon heavy cream with 1 tablespoon of water and pour into the dish.
- Sprinkle with the almond meal and smoked paprika.
- Microwave for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the cauliflower is very tender.
If you liked this low carb, cheesy au gratin “potatoes” recipe you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right (all low carb): “Sweet Potato” Mash, Wyatt’s Eggplant Casserole, German Style Cauliflower