If you are looking for an easy summer side dish that is low carb AND plays well with steak and other grilled meats look no further! This keto friendly, gluten free, cauliflower tabbouleh recipe is super simple, takes almost no time, and is full of fresh flavors… just like to original with one exception. There are just 6 grams of net carbs per very generous serving. SO, how about grabbing a steak and, while the grill is heating up, throw this easy side dish together?
For this recipe you’ll need: cauliflower, hemp hearts, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, Bell peppers (I like colorful ones), fresh parsley, fresh mint, fresh cilantro, olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers.If you are in a hurry feel free to Jump to the Recipe
I think tabbouleh is one of those things that must kind of grow on you. The first time I tasted it I thought it was just bland and gross but there came a point in time that I really began to love it.
So, when it occurred to me that it could be made with cauliflower instead of bulgur I wanted to try it, thinking that I had made a unique discovery. It took me about 5 seconds with Google to realize that lots of other people have made this discovery as well.
Here, I’ve adapted my recipe for regular tabbouleh to be low carb. I’ve added hemp hearts to give it more of the same texture that the original has and I think it really makes this particular low carb tabbouleh amazing.
Table of Contents
Tabbouleh Recipe FAQs
Experience: Easy – this recipe is super simple for the most inexperienced cook!
Here are the answers to some commonly asked questions –
Is tabbouleh a carb?
Tabbouleh salad is a recipe that does normally have carbs since it’s usually made with bulghur wheat and the carb count is around 20 grams net. When made with cauliflower there are way fewer carbs.
Is tabbouleh Paleo?
As a matter of fact, THIS cauliflower based version is — although the “regular” version is not Paleo nor gluten free because of the wheat.
Is tabbouleh good for you?
It is. This low carb tabbouleh recipe has lots of fiber, minerals, and good fats from the olive oil
How to Make This Cauliflower Tabbouleh/ Tabbouli Recipe
This is such an easy recipe to make. You can even use the raw riced cauliflower found in the produce section of your store. Do not try to use frozen cauli-rice because it will have a mushy texture and be too watery. Here are step by step instructions and images to help you!
- Set out your ingredients on the counter. I like to let my cold ingredients come to room temperature.
- Dice the peppers, onions, tomatoes, and cucumber in a small dice.
Use Up That Cauliflower!
If you have more cauliflower sitting around take a look at these Lowcarb-ology reader favorite recipes that include that very versatile vegetable!
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice just like at your favorite Tex-Mex spot!
- Complete Guide to Cauliflower Rice? is so helpful. Everything you need to know!
- German Style Cauliflower is an adaption of German Potato Salad. I love this stuff!
- Cauliflower Puttenesca is quick, easy, and spicy like the original Italian dish.
- Low Carb Macaroni Salad isn’t really macaroni but it sure has that old fashioned flavor!
Low Carb Cauliflower Tabbouleh
This quick and easy low carb cauliflower tabbouleh is SO good! It has lots of tangy Mediterranean flavor and healthy fats that keep you satiated for hours. It’s gluten free and paleo so it works for almost everyone! If you love this recipe (and I know you will) please give it 5 stars.
- 1 cups grated cauliflower
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts optional
- 4 cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon cucumbers peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon onions peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons Bell peppers diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cilantro finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoons fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic , chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- Grate the cauliflower in your food processor or by hand.
- Wrap it in a towel and apply pressure to remove moisture.
- Combine the cauliflower and the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour for flavors to blend.