Easy, cheesy chicken broccoli casserole is on of my favorite recipes. Here I’ve made some adjustments so it’s low-carb and low calorie but has that great flavor and texture that makes it so addictive. You won’t miss the rice, I promise!
I love cheesy chicken broccoli casserole. I’ve been an addict since I first tasted it and it’s one of the recipes I am likely to make on a chilly rainy day… or a sunny warm day… or an in-between day.
As much as I love it, and as many times as I have made it, my friend Edye is the chicken broccoli casserole queen. Whenever we have an “occasion” she brings a huge pan of that casserole. My kids fight over it. In fact, the competition for her casserole is so great that they Instagram pictures of it so that the people that aren’t here (like her son who lives out of state) see that they are missing out.
As you can imagine, making chicken broccoli casserole is rather nerve wracking for me. It’s a standard that has been set high.
Every time that casserole hits my house I can predict that the low-carb eating plan is going out the window as fast as she walks it in the door. I am just being honest here. You know that saying?Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels?? Well, I promise you they have not tasted Edye’s casserole.
I wanted something that would satisfy me when everyone was heaping the gooey, cheesy mixture onto their plates. So, I played around and I think I came up with an acceptable alternative to the oh-so-delicious cheesy chicken broccoli casserole. The real test was what Edye thought about it, right?
She loved it.
I strongly suggest you try this – soon. It really is delicious.
NOTE: Several people have said that this recipe is watery. This only happens if you don’t reduce the stock enough. Be sure that you’ve only got about 3 tablespoons of stock before you add the wine. After you add the wine you’ll simmer until it’s reduced back to about 3 tablespoons before you add the cream and the cheese. This recipe works but you have to spend the time simmering to reduce the liquids.
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 2 cup raw cauliflower crumbles keep some larger if you like more texture
- 2 cup chicken stock more as needed
- 1 cup broccoli flowerettes cut small
- 1/3 pound chicken cut in a small dice
- 3 1/2 ounces grated sharp cheddar reserve 1/4 cup for top, up to 1/4 cup more if you like it cheesier.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the cauliflower crumbles by pulsing raw cauliflower in the food processor until it looks like small grains of rice or large couscous.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cook the cauliflower in the chicken stock until it is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower but reserve the stock.
- Set the cauliflower aside.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to the stock and simmer until the broccoli is tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. You may need to add extra stock.
- Remove the chicken and broccoli and mix it gently into the cauliflower in a large bowl.
- There should only be about 3 tablespoons or so of stock left at this point. If not, simmer gently until the stock is reduced to 3 tablespoons.
- Add the white wine to the chicken stock and simmer, uncovered, until it is reduced by about 1/4.
- Whisk in the cream and the cheese.
- Simmer, whisking often, until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour over the vegetable and chicken mixture.
- Stir gently to blend.
- Spoon into a small, greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until it is bubbling and golden on the top.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
If you liked Low Carb Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole you might also like…
Chicken Corddon Bleu Casserole Low Carb Layla
Low Carb Enchilada Casserole Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low Carb Meatballs with Cauliflower in Marinara Lowcarb-ology
Cheeseburger Casserole Lowcarb-ology
If you liked this post please share generously, thank you!