When the weather is chilly there’s just nothing that will warm you up quicker than this spicy, low carb Hatch Chile Cream Soup. Roasted Hatch chiles (mild or spicy – you choose) are pureed with cauliflower, onion, cumin, garlic, and other ingredients to create a thick, rich soup that really hits the spot! It’s got just 3.2 net carbs and is surprisingly low in calories, too.
For this recipe you’ll need: Hatch chiles, onion, cauliflower, cashew milk, butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, salt, cumin, garlic powder?
If you’re in a hurry click here to go straight to the Hatch Chile Cream Soup recipe.
I love soup. If I was single and childless no doubt most of my meals would consist of a steaming bowl of soup. It just speaks comfort to the center of my being. As it is we have soup meals as often as I can get away with making them.?Cream soups are near and dear to my heart. I definitely won’t turn down a bowl of piping hot minestrone full of vegetables but cream soups are my favorite. They’re just so rich and satisfying!
This Hatch chile cream soup is the best of the best. It’s rich and thick with a smooth texture that cozies up to your tongue and coats your throat… at first. Then comes that slow burn like a purr of satisfaction, intensifying for a minutes and then fading away.
It’s Heaven, y’all.
A generous amount of cumin adds that earthy flavor that every southwestern food aficionado craves. Garlic and onion are simmered in for flavor then a little cream cheese is melted in for texture and a little tang. I kept the calories down by using cauliflower to thicken it and cashew milk to add volume.
THEN I topped it with some shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a dusting of smoked paprika. It was perfection. I say it was perfection because I ate some then my son in law took the rest home. ?He isn’t even on low carb! It’s really that good.
I use unsweetened cashew milk because it only has 1 carb per cup while almond milk has 3 and I just prefer the flavor. If you want to use almond milk go right ahead, just figure in the extra couple of carbs. If you are not into big, bold flavors that make you sweat you can use mild Hatch chiles or poblano peppers.
You May Need
Amazon is turning into the place I go to for everything! You can even get Cashew Milk there for a very reasonable price and have it delivered right to your door with Amazon Fresh. There’s even same day delivery – pretty cool. Hatch chiles are only fresh in the store during ?a month or so in late summer. You can use canned hatch chiles if you like.
Nutritional Info for Hatch Chile Soup
Hatch Chile Cream Soup Recipe
Hatch Chile Cream Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter divided use
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup canned or cooked hatch chiles drained well and patted dry.
- 1 pound cauliflower broken into florets
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk divided use
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Smoked paprika
- Sour cream shredded cheese, paprika for garnish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a heavy pan and saute the onions until translucent.
- Add the chiles and continue to cook until they have browned slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add the cauliflower.
- Simmer until the cauliflower is completely tender.
- Add the cauliflower and 1 cup of the cashew milk to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the onions, Hatch chiles, and 1/2 cup of the cashew milk.
- Blend until smooth and completely mixed.
- Pour half of the mixture into the saucepan.
- Add the cream cheese to the mixture remaining in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the saucepan and add the remaining cashew milk and the remaining butter.
- Stir in the salt, cumin, and garlic.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and heat through.
- Ladle into bowls and dust with smoked paprika.
- Serve with grated cheese and sour cream if desired.
If you liked this low carb soup recipe you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right: Habanero Cheeseburger Soup, Broccoli Cream Soup, Vegetable Beef Soup
And these similar low carb recipes from some of my favorite bloggers…
Shredded Chicken Chili Ketogasm
Cream of Chicken Soup with Bacon Low Carb Yum