The keto frittata is packed with the good stuff: cheese, ham, broccoli, and more cheese. This is the breakfast of champions but can also be served for brunch, lunch, dinner, a snack, or anytime in between.
What I absolutely love about making my keto frittatas is how versatile they are. Don?t have any leftover broccoli on hand? No problem, substitute your favorite veggies such as sliced portobellos, zucchini, or even asparagus, totally up to you!If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
Table of Contents
Pantry and grocery items needed for keto frittata
- Butter or cooking spray
- Ham steak
- Cheddar Cheese – I used medium cheddar for this recipe, use the sharpness you prefer!
- Cooked broccoli florets – you can also use frozen broccoli, leftovers, or any other veggies you have on hand
- Large eggs
- Heavy cream
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh parsley, optional
- Fresh Scallions
You should have all these ingredients on hand. I can see the exception of the ham steak and heavy cream.
I always keep a ham steak in the freezer because it is so easy to whip up a quick dinner with it and it is packed with flavor. Adding just a little into any dish, such as our keto green beans or our low carb cheese grits kicks the whole dish up a notch.
Heavy cream is an exceptional dairy product to keep on hand for keto. It is heavy on the fat making it perfect for keto. Mix a little in your eggs, or your morning coffee, always a winner!
If you don?t have ham, you can substitute sausage or bacon.
No heavy cream? Whole milk, plain yogurt, or sour cream will work too!
Equipment needed for Keto Frittata
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef”s knife
- Cheese grater
- Large mixing bowl
- 9-inch or 10-inch deep pie plate
How to make Keto Frittata
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Grease the pie plate well with the butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and the heavy cream. Whisk until combined fully and the eggs are not separated at all with the yolks and whites.
- Add in the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the diced ham steak, broccoli, scallions, and ? of the cheddar cheese. Stir until everything is fully combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie plate. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake in the preheated 350?F oven for 35-40 minutes. If the top of the frittata starts to get golden brown, it is overcooked. The inside should be just set, and still a little wobbly. Let sit for 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley, optional.
- Cut and serve. I suggest serving this keto frittata with a leafy side salad, creamed spinach, or keto cheddar biscuits!
Tips and tricks
I know you have heard this 1000 times, but it still applies here! Read the recipe all the way through before making it! Then read it again.
Reading the recipe all the way through will ensure there are no surprises when cooking. This recipe is thankfully extremely easy and forgiving, but I still suggest this step first.
Next, gather all the ingredients, chop, dice, and mince before getting started. This will make the whole cooking process faster and easier!
This recipe calls for the keto frittata to be cooked in a pie plate. You can also cook this in an oven-safe pan, remember to grease well with butter still!
Frittatas are one of the only recipes you make where you don?t want it golden brown. I know it sounds crazy but a golden brown frittata means an overcooked frittata and we don?t want that!
A little browning is okay, and with our recipe, you can see it?s brown just slightly. This is because of the addition of extra cheese on top – yum!
The inside of the keto frittata should still be just a little jiggly when you take it out of the oven. We pull it at this point because the eggs continue to cook and set.
As mentioned earlier, take this basic recipe and run with it! Here is a list of alternatives that would go wonderfully in this keto frittata:
- Sliced mushrooms, any kind!
- Zucchini, diced
- Asparagus, spears
- Sauteed cabbage
- Brussel sprouts, make sure they are cooked first
- Cauliflower florets, frozen or fresh
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sauteed onion
- Sauteed bell pepper
- Rutabaga, diced and precooked
- Goat Cheese
- Pepper Jack – a great spicy kick!
- Gouda – try it smoked or chipotle gouda, wow!
- Provolone, smoked or regular
- White cheddar
Meat Alternatives- all these need to be cooked beforehand:
- Italian Sausage
- Breakfast Sausage
- Canadian Bacon
- Ground Beef
Spice Blend Alternatives and Herbs (make sure they are sugar-free):
- Old Bay
- Jerk Seasoning
- BBQ Seasoning
You can mix and match any of the above categories and get a delicious keto frittata every time!
Does a frittata have carbs?
It all depends on what you put into the frittata on how many carbs it has.
For example, if potatoes, corn, squash, or peas are in the frittata chances are it is higher in carbs.
This recipe for keto frittata is made specifically low carb and it is safe to eat while on the keto diet.
Is spinach keto-friendly?
Yes, spinach is one of the most consumed vegetables on the keto diet. It has just 3g net carbs in one cup of cooked spinach.
Which if you have cooked spinach before, it takes a LOT of spinach for just one cooked cup. It cooks down a lot.
How to store keto frittata
Frittatas make wonderful leftovers! Let the frittata cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To freeze, wrap leftover frittata in heavy-duty aluminum foil and place in a freezer-safe gallon sized zipped plastic bag. Freeze and eat within 2-3 months.
To heat, defrost in the fridge overnight. Reheat in the microwave or in a 350?F oven until heated through.
I truly love this keto frittata and the versatility of the dish is endless.
This is one of those keto dishes that the whole family will love and easy enough to make again and again! Paired with our southwestern broccoli salad to make it a full meal!
Please try our version of keto frittata and let us know in the comments below if you loved it! If you decided to make it your own, let us know what other goodies you added.
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef's knife
- Cheese grater
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Pie Plate
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter or cooking spray
- 8 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Ham Steak diced
- 1 cup Broccoli chopped
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 Scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Parsley finely chopped (optional)
- Black Pepper freshly cracked, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Grease a 9 or 10-inch pie plate with softened unsalted butter or cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and heavy cream. Whisk until combined fully. Add in the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Add in the ham, broccoli, ? of the cheddar, and the scallions. Stir until fully combined. Pour into the prepared pie plate. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top is very slightly golden brown and the center is a tiny bit jiggly. Let sit for 10 minutes, garnish with parsley, slice, and serve.