This keto tuna casserole recipe can be made in under 30 minutes for those nights when you are short on time. With only 8 net carbs per serving, you will want to add this one to your keto-friendly staples.
What I like the most about this recipe is that it is very versatile. You can eat this keto tuna casserole as a standalone entree or with a low carb side.
Also, this recipe also managed to sneak in a few servings of veggies without sacrificing taste or texture. The creamy cheese mixture makes this dish melt in your mouth. You really feel like you are indulging.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
Table of Contents
Ingredients Needed to Keto Tuna Casserole
- Canned tuna: Make sure you buy the canned tuna in water. This recipe uses a 5 oz. can.
- Frozen spinach: Any type of frozen spinach will do. The spinach will need some time to thaw prior to baking the keto tuna casserole.
- Red onion: You can also use a white onion or spring onion in lieu of the red onion.
- Celery stalk
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: I recommend buying the mozzarella block cheese and shredding at home. Packaged shredded cheese often times contain added potato starch which increases the net carbs.
- Cream cheese: You can go full fat or low fat.
- Mayonnaise: You can go full fat or low fat.
- Garlic clove: I recommend using a fresh garlic clove.
- Salt and pepper
Equipment Needed for Keto Tuna Casserole
- Wooden spatula
- Large bowl
- Cutting board and chef’s knife
- Garlic press
- Cheese grater (if grating mozzarella cheese at home)
- Scissor’s (to open the frozen spinach bag)
- Baking dish
- Prepare spinach. Remove frozen spinach from the freezer and thaw to room temperature. Squeeze out the excess water from the spinach.
- Chop red onion and celery. Peel and dice the red onion finely. Dice celery finely.
- Prepare cheese mixture. Mix half of the mozzarella cheese, all of the cream cheese, and all of the mayonnaise. Using a garlic press, crush 1 clove of garlic and add to the cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Prepare tuna. Open the tuna can and drain the water.
- Mix everything. In a large bowl, mix the spinach, red onion, celery, cheese mixture, and tuna. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour into a baking dish. Top with half of the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake. Heat oven to 400 F (205 C) and bake tuna casserole for about 20 minutes or until the top is a dark golden brown.
Tips and Variations
- Fresh spinach can be substituted for frozen spinach if it is steamed alone first. Make sure to remove the excess water from the spinach prior to adding.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, you can add 1/2 tbsp of ground garlic powder in lieu.
Is Canned Tuna Keto Approved?
Yes, canned tuna is keto-friendly.
How Many Carbs are in Tuna Casserole?
This recipe has 12g of total carbs and 4g of fiber per serving, which means that there are 8 net carbs per serving.
How Long is Tuna Casserole Good For?
This keto tuna casserole recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What Do You Eat Keto Tuna Casserole With?
This Keto Tuna Casserole is a perfect pair with these keto recipes:
This Keto Tuna Casserole comes together really quickly on a busy night. With 8 net carbs per serving, you can enjoy a creamy tuna dinner without the guilt.
Keto Tuna Casserole
- Wooden Spatula
- Large Bowl
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Garlic Press
- Cheese Grater (if grating mozzarella cheese at home)
- Scissors (to open frozen spinach bag)
- Baking Dish
- 5 oz Tuna In Water canned
- 12 oz Frozen Spinach
- 1/2 cup Red Onion diced
- 1 Celery Stalk diced
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella shredded
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese
- 1 large Garlic Clove
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Remove the frozen spinach from the freezer and thaw to room temperature.
- With your hands, squeeze the spinach to remove the excess water. Set aside.
- Dice red onion and celery stalk.
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, cream cheese, and half of the mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup).
- Using a garlic press, press 1 clove of garlic into the cheese mixture. Add salt and pepper.
- Open tuna can and drain excess water. Set aside.
- Add diced red onions, celery, spinach, and tuna to the cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Using a spatula, pour the tuna casserole into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top (about 1/4 cup).
- Bake at 400?F (205?C) for about 20 minutes or until the top is a dark golden brown.