This keto tuna casserole recipe can be made in under 30 minutes for those nights when you are short on time. With only 8 net carbs per serving, you will want to add this one to your keto-friendly staples.
What I like the most about this recipe is that it is very versatile. You can eat this keto tuna casserole as a standalone entree or with a low carb side.
Also, this recipe also managed to sneak in a few servings of veggies without sacrificing taste or texture. The creamy cheese mixture makes this dish melt in your mouth. You really feel like you are indulging.
Table of Contents
Ingredients Needed to Keto Tuna Casserole
- Canned tuna: Make sure you buy the canned tuna in water. This recipe uses a 5 oz. can.
- Frozen spinach: Any type of frozen spinach will do. The spinach will need some time to thaw prior to baking the keto tuna casserole.
- Red onion: You can also use a white onion or spring onion in lieu of the red onion.
- Celery stalk
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: I recommend buying the mozzarella block cheese and shredding at home. Packaged shredded cheese often times contain added potato starch which increases the net carbs.
- Cream cheese: You can go full fat or low fat.
- Mayonnaise: You can go full fat or low fat.
- Garlic clove: I recommend using a fresh garlic clove.
- Salt and pepper
Equipment Needed for Keto Tuna Casserole
- Wooden spatula
- Large bowl
- Cutting board and chef’s knife
- Garlic press
- Cheese grater (if grating mozzarella cheese at home)
- Scissor’s (to open the frozen spinach bag)
- Baking dish
- Prepare spinach. Remove frozen spinach from the freezer and thaw to room temperature. Squeeze out the excess water from the spinach.
- Chop red onion and celery. Peel and dice the red onion finely. Dice celery finely.
- Prepare cheese mixture. Mix half of the mozzarella cheese, all of the cream cheese, and all of the mayonnaise. Using a garlic press, crush 1 clove of garlic and add to the cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Prepare tuna. Open the tuna can and drain the water.
- Mix everything. In a large bowl, mix the spinach, red onion, celery, cheese mixture, and tuna. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour into a baking dish. Top with half of the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake. Heat oven to 400 F (205 C) and bake tuna casserole for about 20 minutes or until the top is a dark golden brown.
Tips and Variations
- Fresh spinach can be substituted for frozen spinach if it is steamed alone first. Make sure to remove the excess water from the spinach prior to adding.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, you can add 1/2 tbsp of ground garlic powder in lieu.
Is Canned Tuna Keto Approved?
Yes, canned tuna is keto-friendly.
How Many Carbs are in Tuna Casserole?
This recipe has 12g of total carbs and 4g of fiber per serving, which means that there are 8 net carbs per serving.
How Long is Tuna Casserole Good For?
This keto tuna casserole recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What Do You Eat Keto Tuna Casserole With?
This Keto Tuna Casserole is a perfect pair with these keto recipes:
This Keto Tuna Casserole comes together really quickly on a busy night. With 8 net carbs per serving, you can enjoy a creamy tuna dinner without the guilt.
Keto Tuna Casserole
- Wooden Spatula
- Large Bowl
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Garlic Press
- Cheese Grater (if grating mozzarella cheese at home)
- Scissors (to open frozen spinach bag)
- Baking Dish
- Remove the frozen spinach from the freezer and thaw to room temperature.
- With your hands, squeeze the spinach to remove the excess water. Set aside.
- Dice red onion and celery stalk.
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, cream cheese, and half of the mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup).
- Using a garlic press, press 1 clove of garlic into the cheese mixture. Add salt and pepper.
- Open tuna can and drain excess water. Set aside.
- Add diced red onions, celery, spinach, and tuna to the cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Using a spatula, pour the tuna casserole into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top (about 1/4 cup).
- Bake at 400°F (205°C) for about 20 minutes or until the top is a dark golden brown.