Warm, dark, and spicy! This low carb chili recipe is based on my favorite Texas chili. Meaty and rich with plenty of spice from two kinds of chile peppers and a homemade chili powder! You can increase the servings and make up a big batch of this in the slow cooker or you can just make it quickly in single serving sizes. Either way it’s delicious and just 3 net carbs!
For this recipe you’ll need: ground beef, Bell pepper, onion, chipotle chile, guajillo chile, beef stock, canned fire roasted diced tomatoes with chiles, strong coffee, tomato sauce, cocoa powder, cilantro, chili powder (see my recipe on Restless Chipotle), cumin, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
Chili is one of my favorites. My mom made Midwestern chili which is more soupy and less spicy but I’ve also consumed well over my weight in Texas style chili – which happens t be perfect for low carb diets!
Texas chili rarely has beans. It’s often made with chunks of beef rather than ground meat and there aren’t even very many vegetables in it. Onions and peppers, maybe a few tomatoes, and lots of chiles and spices. Here I’ve added cocoa to create a thicker, darker sauce that is reminiscent of a mole (mole the sauce not mole the mammal).
You can easily adjust the spice by changing the amount of chile powder or even changing the types of chiles. Guijillo chiles taste like spicy raisins to me so they give this chili a little sweetness but you may prefer going with all chipotle or some other combination. There are as many chili recipes as there are chili cooks so don’t be afraid to experiment!
I love my low carb chili plain with maybe a little cheese and sour cream on top but I’ll be sharing a recipe a little later for one of my VERY favorite foods – chili dog casserole for one!
Chili freezes well, too – so unless you just have a last minute low carb chili fix you can adjust the amounts and toss it in the slow cooker.
Table of Contents
Low Carb Chili Slow Cooker Style
This low carb chili recipe is easy to make in the slow cooker AND you don’t even have to do math. In case you haven’t heard you can change the serving sizes on any of the recipes on Lowcarb-ology or Restless Chipotle quite easily. Just click your mouse on the recipe where it says “Servings: 1 serving” A slider will open up with a bar that lets you adjust the servings and then automatically changes the ingredient amounts. I’d suggest if you are going to make low carb chili slow cooker style that you adjust for 10 servings.
- If you are using ground beef brown it before adding it to the slow cooker. If you are using stew meat then just add it raw.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
Low Carb Chili Recipe
When you need a spicy fix this low carb chili is quick, easy, and SO good.?Like this recipe? Please consider giving it a 5 star rating.
Low Carb Chili – Texas Style
- 6 ounces ground beef , or 1/2 cup cooked
- 1 tablespoon Bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon onion , chopped
- 1 chipotle chile
- 1 guijillo chile
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon diced tomates with chiles , fire roasted
- 1 tablespoon coffee , liquid not grounds
- 1 teaspoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- pinch garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Saute the ground beef, the onion, and the pepper until the vegetables are soft.
- add the remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, adding a little more beef broth if it gets too dry.
- Remove the chipotle and guijillo chiles. If you like a spicier chili you can mash the chiles up and add them back in – but be careful. This is SPICY.
- Spoon into a bowl by itself or over cauli-rice and top as desired.
IF YOU LIKED THIS LOW CARB CHILI RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO LIKE?
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right (all low carb): Beef Pozole, White Chicken Chili, Arroz con Pollo