Low carb desserts don’t have to be boring and this low carb chocolate mousse crepes recipe is here to prove it! A rich, luxuriously creamy chocolate peanut butter mousse is piled into sweet brown sugar cinnamon crepes and then rolled up and dusted with cocoa. It’s one of those low carb treats that looks like you cooked for hours but it’s SO darn easy!
For this recipe you’ll need: sugar free chocolate instant pudding mix, heavy cream, half and half, peanut butter, cream cheese, eggs, sugar free brown sugar cinnamon syrup, and butter.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
Have you noticed that Valentine’s Day and chocolate just go together?
Have you noticed that it can be really hard to stay on your low carb eating plan around the various holidays that are sprinkled throughout the year like carb-filled landmines?
I thought so.
Well these low carb chocolate mousse crepes are SO good that you won’t really be tempted AND even your non-low-carbing friends will like them. Seriously, my 17 year old just walked in from school, and jammed one in his mouth – never even asked if it was low carb.
Table of Contents
Chocolate Is a Valentine’s Day Tradition Here
My entire house is made up of chocoholics. I think I have one son who isn’t a fan of chocolate – or he didn’t used to be. I think he’s become more addicted to it as he got older – maybe he’s a late bloomer.
So, it really can’t be Valentine’s Day unless there’s chocolate somewhere. I’ve always gotten the kids one of those little heart shaped boxes of chocolate and left it at their place at the breakfast table Valentine’s Day morning. I know that lots of people have lots of cool traditions but that’s the only one I have time for. 🙂
When I was small the Valentine’s Fairy came to our house and left little gifts on the pillow just before bed IF I had been loving and kind all day. I’m not sure if it was a ploy by my parents to make me behave (after all – these were the people who called Santa Claus to tell him I had been sassy two days before Christmas) or if they just thought it was a cool idea.
Either way – it’s one of my favorite February memories. As adults we get so busy we forget to take time to create a little magic in our lives since our parents aren’t doing it for us anymore (or maybe they never did). There’s nothing wrong with nurturing yourself! When you get the kids boxes of Valentine’s Day candy get yourself some flowers or something.
You’ll be surprised at what a difference it makes in your outlook on life.
Tips for These Low Carb Chocolate Crepes
These crepes are so easy to make but there are a few things that will be helpful for you to know.
- The heavy cream and half and half should be very cold.
- If you’d like to cut the calories a little you can use almond or coconut milk for 1/2 cup of the half and half.
- You can cut calories further by using less of the filling in the crepes (but what fun is that?)
- The eggs and cream cheese should be room temperature.
- Make sure you are using sugar free instant pudding mix and syrup.
- Serve immediately after making.
- You can’t make these ahead of time and they don’t freeze well.
Variations on This Dessert Recipe
These low carb chocolate mousse crepes are amazing but with just a few tweaks you can really change them up.
- Try vanilla pudding mix
- White chocolate pudding mix with a few fresh raspberries
- Lemon pudding mix
- Use all whipped cream sweetened with your favorite sugar free syrup and some strawberries
- There are tons of sugar free syrup flavors to experiment with, too!
Low Carb Chocolate Mousse Crepes Recipe
You are definitely going to want to throw these easy low carb crepes together when you need a fancy dessert. They are so pretty that no one will guess that they are stupid simple, too. By the way, when I say “dust the crepes with cocoa” I don’t mean dump it on like it is above. I spilled it when I was “dusting”.
If you like this recipe please give it a 5 star rating.
Low Carb Chocolate Mousse Crepes
Chocolate Mousse Filling
- 1 box sugar free instant chocolate pudding mix , 4 serving size
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs , room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar free brown sugar cinnamon syrup
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Add the filling ingredients to a mixer.
- Beat on high speed until thick with a mousse-like consistency. Make sure you stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl and stir up from the bottom to get all of the ingredients mixed in.
- Cover and put in the refrigerator.
- Blend the eggs, cream cheese, and syrup in a blender until smooth..
- Melt the butter in a nonstick omelet pan.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of the egg mixture.
- Cook over low heat until set on top and golden on the bottom.
- Gently slide out onto a plate.
- Spoon about 1/4 of the chocolate mousse down the center of the crepe.
- Fold the crepe over it and roll gently.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and filling.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
If you liked this low carb chocolate dessert you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right: Gingerbread Mug Cake, Peanut Butter Mug Cake, Mug Brownie with Peanut Butter Swirl
1 thought on “Low Carb Chocolate Mousse Crepes”
Marye, the Valentines Fairy? That’s awesome. Too bad my kids are now too old to believe that one. They can certainly be more kind and loving toward each other. Thanks for the recipe. Will add it to my list : )