Gooey, cheesy comfort food, this low-carb copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole is just like your favorite dish at Cracker Barrel only this one doesn’t have the carbs! You can make it in just a few minutes in your microwave or bake it so the top gets those crispy bits!
For this recipe, you’ll need: butter, cauliflower, onion, chicken bullion powder, sour cream, shredded cheese, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
Yes, I know. Here I go again with cauliflower. I can’t help it. Cauliflower is like the low carber’s bestie. It can be used to make everything from grits to pizza, y’all. It’s gotta be the most versatile veggie on the planet. So, yes. If you are a cauliflower hater then just move along — nothing for you to see here.
Unless you want to give it a try.
I am big on comfort food but too much of the time I make something awesome for the family and then grab a poached egg or something mindless for me because I just don’t have time to take care of myself. I am realizing that not having time to take care of myself is a big issue with me. I need to make time. Well, this recipe makes it easy because I made it right in the microwave. Now, if you want to have the whole experience with the crispy edges and all you can bake it — I’ll give you instructions on how to do that, too. The point is, I try to make low-carbing something that we can do without getting thrown off track by a lot of planning or long prep. If you use the microwave you can be eating this low-carb copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole in less than five minutes, y’all. FIVE.
You can change it up by the type of cheese you use. I used Tillamook Garlic Chile Pepper Cheddar cheese and it was amazing! Next time I am going to make it with Pepper Jack cheese. This is not going to freeze real well but it should keep in the fridge a couple of days. You can even add cooked chicken or ham to make it a main dish!
Table of Contents
Low-Carb Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces sliced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Chicken Bullion Powder
- 1 tabespoon boiling water.
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar I used Tillamook Garlic and Chile Pepper Cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smoked paprika for garnish
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan and add the cauliflower and onion.
- Saute until the cauliflower and onion are tender and begins to turn golden brown in spots.
- Spoon into a small, 2 cup size microwave safe or ovenproof casserole dish.
- Mix the chicken bullion powder with the hot water until dissolved.
- Add to the sour cream, 1 1/2 ounces shredded cheddar, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon over the cauliflower and onion mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Microwave for 3 minutes or until heated through, tender, and melty OR bake for 20 minutes at 375F.
- Sprinkle with the smoked Paprika.