My favorite low carb egg nog recipe is rich and sweet with plenty of holiday flavor. This version is Southern style – which basically means that there’s a generous amount of whiskey added to the mix. Sipping this iconic holiday libation is one of the perks of being low carb rather than low fat!
For this recipe you’ll need: heavy cream, egg yolks, sugar free vanilla syrup or sugar free salted caramel syrup (I use Torani), vanilla, whole nutmeg, whiskey or bourbon, vanilla
My first memory of egg nog is my father leaning over a cup of the rich liquid grinding a whole nutmeg over the top. I remember him handing it to me with a smile then pouring a little something into his egg nog before we drank the first cup of the season. It was a tradition that we’d repeat over and over again through the years. He always used freshly grated nutmeg and he always added a little something to his once my cup was in my hands.
When I was 16 I saw him add a little something to my cup and with the first sip I realized that this was what egg nog was supposed to be. I was only allowed a small glass two or three times during the holiday season but I looked forward to that stuff all year long. Thick and rich, with classic egg nog flavor – Dad had his own recipe and eschewed the store bought kind until he was well into his 70s.
Of course his recipe is full of carbs. I wasn’t sure that I could make it low carb and still come up with the same rich flavor but I definitely wanted to try.
Table of Contents
Tips for Making This Low Carb Egg Nog
- I use organic, free range eggs in this recipe and I do heat the mixture up in the microwave. If you are concerned about salmonella use pasteurized eggs.
- It is much better if allowed to chill in the refrigerator overnight. The flavors soften and blend.
- Don’t be afraid to add more whiskey if you like.
- Keep refrigerated and drink it within 3 days or so.
- Cover tightly – this mixture picks up refrigerator flavors!
- The instructions are for the microwave because it is SO much easier. You can make it on top of the stove over low heat – just be careful it doesn’t scorch.
- Grate whole nutmeg. The flavor is much better than the pre-grated nutmeg!
Low Carb, Sugar Free Egg Nog Nutrition Info
Egg Nog Recipe
Low Carb Egg Nog Recipe: Spiked Southern Style
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup almond milk or water
- 1/4 cup caramel syrup I use Torani (sugar free salted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- salt Pinch of
- stevia Powdered as needed
- 3 ounces whiskey or bourbon more as desired
- nutmeg Whole
- Whisk the egg yolks until light.
- Blend in to the heavy cream.
- Add the water.
- Beat until well blended.
- Microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, for 4 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the syrup, vanilla, and salt.
- Taste and add stevia as needed for flavor.
- Carefully beat the hot liquid with an immersion blender. This adds air but is not essential to the finished drink.
- Add the whiskey and stir well.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Serve with the nutmeg ground over the top.
6 thoughts on “Low Carb Egg Nog Recipe: Spiked Southern Style”
Thanks. I made this for a Tipsy Bartender party where kids were in attendance so they could try it if they wanted to. Us grownups spiked it as we drank it and it worked out well, though. Lol
🙂 Thanks for letting me know!
Have you tried this without the whisky or adding it in later, like before serving?
You can leave the whiskey out if you want.
love homemade eggnog.