Low Carb Egg Roll (6.0 net carbs) is a quick, easy dinner or lunch that will satisfy all of your longings for Chinese takeout. Ground pork, cabbage, celery, and a variety of other vegetables are blended with traditional seasonings to give you big flavor that’s keto friendly.
For this recipe you’ll need: sesame oil, ground pork or ground beef, cabbage, celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic, fresh ginger, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, soy sauce, stevia or favorite sweetener, crushed red peppers, hemp seeds or sesame seeds (optional), and dry mustard powder.
If you are in a hurry click here to go to the recipe.
To me there’s not much better than to head out to one of the local Chinese restaurants with one of my kids and fill up on all of those yummy carbs. Unfortunately carbs don’t do my body any good — leaving it looking something like a cross between over-risen bread dough and a lumpy bag of potatoes. The carbs and the salt combination that restaurant style Asian food has is a guarantee that I’ll soak up every molecule of water near me — even the humidity in the air ends up settling in around my waistline… or where my waistline used to be.
My kids love Asian food, although my husband is not a fan, so we have standing dates for birthdays and special days. Sometimes we just go because there are a few extra dollars in the checking account. 🙂 It means that I totally blow my carb allotment for the week but once in awhile it’s worth it. I am addicted to egg rolls. I could literally eat pounds of them. In fact, if there were an egg roll eating contest I am pretty sure that I would leave looking like Humpty-Dumpty but sporting a first place ribbon.
If only I could have those flavors I love every single day.
I am not going to tell you this low carb egg roll in a bowl tastes exactly like egg rolls. It doesn’t, but it is yummy and it tastes enough like egg rolls (without the crispy fried exterior) to make me happy without the high carb side effects. You can adjust the ingredients with other low carb ingredients to make it taste exactly the way you like it. And, it heats up well so you can make a batch on the weekend and keep it for quick and easy lunches during the week.
I like mine spicy so I usually add a few slivers of jalapeno and some crushed red peppers. Adjust that to fit your own tastes — you can leave it out completely if you want. Give it a try — and don’t forget the hot mustard sauce to drizzle on top.
Oriental Hot Mustard Powder is simply mixed with water to get that spicy, clear-out-your-sinuses sauce that egg rolls are dipped in. With less than 1 carb per teaspoon it’s perfect to drizzle over the low carb egg rolls! Although sesame seeds don’t have many carbs (just 1 net carb per tablespoon) hemp seeds have less than 1 gram net carbs so a tablespoon sprinkled over your low carb egg roll bowl adds flavor, texture, and visual interest without extra carbs.
Table of Contents
Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1/3 pound ground pork or lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup cabbage shredded
- 1/4 cup celery sliced
- 2 tablespoons bell pepper julienned
- 1 tablespoon onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated fresh
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno julienned
- stevia Pinch of – or to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds or hemp seeds
Chinese Hot Mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mustard powder hot
- 1 teaspoon Water
- Heat a large, heavy skillet.
- Add the meat and cook until the meat is cooked through – don’t drain.
- Add the cabbage, celery, bell pepper, onion,garlic, ginger, jalapeno, stevia, and soy sauce to the skillet.
- Cook, stirring until the cabbage is cooked but still has some texture.
- Remove from the heat and top with the cilantro and crushed red peppers.
- Drizzle the sesame oil over the top.
- Sprinkle with hemp seed if desired.
- Serve with Chinese Hot Mustard spooned on top as desired.
Chinese Hot Mustard
- Mix the mustard powder with the water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
If you liked this Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl you may also like…