Tender, spicy, and low carb!!? These grilled shrimp skewers are perfect with the sweet and smoky roasted tomato relish. This easy twist on a classic Shrimp Creole recipe is quick, easy, AND low in both calories and carbs. Give it a try and I think you’ll agree that it’s the perfect summer meal!
For this recipe you?ll need:?large shrimp, heirloom cherry tomatoes (red, yellow, orange), poblano pepper, yellow Bell pepper, red Bell pepper, celery, onions, garlic, cayenne, Tony Chachere?s Creole Seasoning, sugar-free sweetener, Herbes de Provence, olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, limes, wooden skewers
I do love my old cookbooks with classic recipes that you just don’t hear about anymore. Honestly, my hobby is taking those classic recipes and updating them to be low carb. This grilled shrimp recipe was the result of a rainy afternoon, a cup of coffee, and a cookbook from the early 1900s. When I saw the Shrimp Creole recipe I was hooked.
Except that the shrimp was simmered in a tomato sauce thickened with flour and seasoned with more sugar that most people put in their cupcakes! That’s only a slight exaggeration. I knew that wasn’t going to work!
So I decided to grill the shrimp and to roast a classic Creole blend of tomatoes, peppers, and onion. Roasting brings out the sweetness in vegetables and I figured that it would be just about right. I left the vegetables chunky for a more rustic, fresh feel to the tomato relish.
Oh my gosh, y’all. It was amazing.
Table of Contents
TIPS FOR GRILLING SHRIMP
It?s actually one of the best ways to cook them as far as I?m concerned! So easy! It takes this updated Creole Shrimp recipe from average to amazing.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SHRIMP ON THE GRILL?
- Brush shrimp lightly with olive oil – I like an infused olive oil to add a little extra flavor.
- Season with salt, pepper, or whatever seasonings you?re using.
- Place on a preheated grill until done.
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK JUMBO SHRIMP ON THE GRILL?
Overcooked shrimp is rubbery and yucky. You want shrimp to be just cooked. Cook shrimp about 3 to 5 minutes total, turning once ? depending on the size.
CAN YOU GRILL PEELED SHRIMP?
Shrimp can be peeled or unpeeled for grilling. Unpeeled shrimp tend to stay a little moister and don’t overcook as easily. On the other hand peeled, deveined shrimp are much easier to work with. I use peeled shrimp in the following recipe.
HOW DO YOU GRILL SHRIMP ON SKEWERS?
Prepare wooden skewers by soaking them in water for at least 30 minutes. This is a good place to get extra flavor into your shrimp by flavoring the water with citrus, herbs, or whatever you like. Be careful about using alcohol, though. It’s very flammable and will cause the grill to erupt like Vesuvius.
Once your skewers are ready gently push the raw shrimp onto the skewer so that it forms a “C” shape. Don?t crowd the shrimp, make sure there is space between them.
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
The Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning gives this dish it’s spicy Creole flavor. You can use it on just about everything!
Perfect Accompaniments to this Recipe
I don’t know about you but sometimes I have a tough time putting it all together. Here are some Lowcarb-ology recipes that would go well with Grilled Shrimp.
- Easy Drop Biscuits
- Southwestern Broccoli Salad
- Low Carb Cheese “Grits”
- Low Carb “Potato Salad”
- Cucumbers in Sour Cream
- “Macaroni” Salad
- Skinny Watermelon Margarita
Grilled Shrimp with Roasted Tomato Relish Recipe
Grilled Shrimp with Roasted Tomato Relish is almost embarrassingly quick and easy. It looks like a long list of ingredients and steps but you’ll be surprised at how it just all falls into place. Honestly, the most difficult thing is getting the shrimp cooked exactly right.
If you’d like to make this for a party and need more servings just adjust the number of servings and the recipe will adjust the measurements to match.? Love this recipe? Please give it 5 stars! Thanks!
Grilled Shrimp with Roasted Tomatoes and Peppers
- 2 wooden skewers
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 8 shrimp , large or jumbo
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning , or to taste
Roasted Tomato Relish
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes heirloom mixed colors
- 1 tablespoon poblano pepper large dice
- 1/8 cup onion large dice
- 1/8 cup yellow Bell pepper large dice
- 1/8 cup red Bell pepper large dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1/8 cup celery sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere's seasoning , more as desired
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar free sweetener ,if needed
- Put the water, lime juice, and cayenne in a casserole dish and add skewers.
- Set aside.
Roasted Tomato Relish
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, and onion to a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil and herbes de Provence - mix well so that all the vegetables are coated.
- Place the vegetables on a heavy baking sheet without overcrowding.
- Put into the oven until the vegetables are tender and charred areas appear on the skins. About 10 to 20 minutes. Watch carefully!
- Meanwhile add the remaining olive oil to a heavy skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Heat it up and add the garlic and celery.
- Saute until soft.
- Add the roasted vegetables.
- Gently stir in salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with a little Tony Chachere's
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add sweetener if needed. Set aside in a warm spot.
- Heat up the grill.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Remove skewers from water.
- Add about 4 shrimp to each skewer, making sure there is space between each.
- Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with Tony Chachere's seasoning - more if you like spicy and less if you like it less spicy.
- Grill about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- To Serve
- Serve the skewers over the roasted Creole sauce.
What’s a Summer Party without Cocktails?
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right (all low carb): Bourbon Milk Punch, Vanilla Old Fashioned, Dirty Shirley