When is oatmeal not oatmeal?
When it is a low carb hot cereal that doesn’t have an iota of grain in it,?but first (once again) you have to get past the fact that I used cauliflower. Take a moment to deal with it, to manage the emotions, and to accept the fact that cauliflower is a lowcarber’s best friend. Now, file it away and let’s move on.
I have always loved oatmeal but always had to stay away from it because my body has never really like carbs. I was one of those kids that didn’t eat much or often and I don’t think it is something I have done to myself I just think that is the way my body works. I just don’t need a lot of food. Not needing many calories is a great advantage when there is a famine but when you are a food writer?
Not so much.
I have always read the food descriptions in?Farmer Boy with delight. I am enthralled by those long descriptions of the table groaning under it’s weight of breakfast foods. Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out, my favorite meal to eat in?? and the one I am least likely to eat.
The one thing that is hard about Atkins is breakfast?? especially if you don’t like eggs. Let’s face it, after weeks of nothing but eggs almost NO ONE likes eggs.
This hot breakfast is creamy and filling. It is sweet and mapley good. Comfort food, I promise. Get past the fact that there is cauliflower in here, you won’t notice it. You are going to be spooning up all of that steaming, creamy, goodness and thinking about gramma’s kitchen and hot chocolate with marshmallows.
And how great you are going to look in that new outfit. Remember? Low carb.
This is prepared almost like the grits ??you are going to grind the cauliflower and almonds together but this time you are adding more almonds, some xylitol, natural maple flavor vanilla, and butter. You’ll also be cooking it longer to achieve that creamy texture.
Like many of my other low carb recipes please try to get past the fact that I have, once again, lost my mind and go ahead and try this just once. Tummy pleasing comfort is just about ten minutes away.
Low Carb Maple Almond Hot Cereal
- Grind the almonds and raw cauliflower together in the blender until the mixture is like crumbs.
- Add the mixture to a pan and cover with water.
- Simmer, stirring constantly until the mixture is cooked and soft and the water is absorbed. You may need to add more water 1/4 cup at a time and cook it until it's absorbed to achieve the consistency of cooked oatmeal.
- Add Xylitol, cinnamon, maple, vanilla, and butter. Mix well and taste for seasoning. Adjust flavor to make it exactly right for you.
- Put the mixure in a bowl, add the cream and enjoy.