When you want a snack or a side dish that fills in for fast food you can’t lose with these low carb parmesan tater tots. They are crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside, and there is a spicy chipotle dipping sauce to keep things interesting.
These cheesy, little puffs of perfection are great for popping in your mouth during the big game, complimenting your favorite burger, or however you want to eat them. The secondary cheese can be varied to change the flavor a bit and you can add onion or finely chopped jalapeno.
Really, the possibilities are endless.
Tips for Low Carb Parmesan Tater Tots
- Use the dry Parmesan that is usually found in the pasta aisle at the store. I use the Kraft Grated Parmesan in a big green can. It works really well as breadcrumbs and for holding things together plus it has 0 carbs and isn’t terribly expensive. When I want Parmesan on my pasta it’s the good, expensive stuff all the way but for things like this the cheap kind works the best.
- When I was researching for this recipe I saw a couple that baked rather than fried. When I was recipe testing I put some of this batch in the oven and some in the fryer.
- Use the fryer. Seriously. The baked ones aren’t nearly as good.
- I didn’t steam the cauliflower first. I just grated it raw and used it that way. It cooks just fine and I think it soaks up less of the cooking oil, to be honest. Plus it saves about ten minutes?? always a good thing.
- I put the cauliflower in the processor and pulsed until it looked like crumbs. Next, I put the cauliflower in a colander and pressed with paper towel to get out as much of the moisture as I could.After the rest of the ingredients were mixed in I let it sit for about half an hour to blend flavors and to absorb any excess liquid.
- Form the tater tots by taking a pecan sized ?piece of the cauliflower mixture and gently rolling it into a cylinder. Gently flatten the ends to make it look like a traditional tater tot.
- I always fry in peanut oil. It is the lightest oil and I think it works the best. If there is a peanut allergy in your family then use what ever oil you normally do.
- You can pan fry these in about 1-inch of oil. I deep fried mine.
- There’s no reason why you can’t make these ahead and heat them back up in the oven if you need to.
That’s about it. Now all you need to do is to make these addictive, low carb Parmesan tater tots…but you better make a lot because they disappear really fast.
Note: if these are falling apart it is because there is too much moisture in the cauliflower or you haven’t let them sit for the 15 to 30 minutes.
Low Carb Parmesan ?Tater Tots? with Chipotle Dipping Sauce
- 2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan I used Kraft
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle in adobo blended to a paste
- Chop the raw cauliflower in a food processor until it looks like crumbs.
- Line a colander with paper towel and add the cauliflower.
- Lay another paper towel over the top and gently press to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Mix i the onion, Parmesan, and pepper-jack.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Mix in the egg.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes. 30 is better.
- Preheat the oil in the fryer to 360F
- Form the dough into cylinders.
- Blunt the ends.
- Add to the preheated oil and fry until golden.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Add salt and serve.
- Mix the chipotle and mayonnaise.
- Let stand for a few minutes to blend.