When pasta cravings hit this low carb pumpkin gnocchi in spicy crema will fight them off in style. Easy to make, you can keep rolls of the keto gnocchi dough on hand in the fridge or freezer so you can make this main dish in a snap!
For this recipe you’ll need: pumpkin, shredded mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, heavy cream, cumin, garlic powder, dried pequin chiles, sour cream, salt, pecans, fresh cilantro, and almond flour.
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the low carb pumpkin gnocchi recipe.
Table of Contents
What exactly is gnocchi anyway?
First, how do you say gnocchi? It’s “NYO keee”. It’s an italian pasta that is most often made from potatoes. They are little clumps of joy that differ from regular pasta which uses flour as their main ingredient. Because of the potatoes and eggs that traditional potato gnocchi are made of, they are often called dumplings even though they are much smaller. Yes, both pasta and gnocchi both have flour but the amount is much less in gnocchi.
How do you make keto gnocchi?
This easy, low carb gnocchi has a ton of pumpkin flavor and a spicy pequin infused crema and under 6 net carbs. To make this keto gnocchi recipe I had to make a few changes. First, no potatoes. A medium baked potato has 36.6 grams of carbs according to the nutrition information. That doesn’t work in a keto diet. This is a big reason why a cup of regular gnocchi has 52 total carbs. Definitely not a low carb recipe nor close to being keto. Thankfully there are things like coconut flour and almond flour easily available. For this keto gnocchi recipe I used almond flour. I thought about trying to make cauliflower gnocchi but I couldn’t get the texture right. One side benefit of using almond flour or even coconut flour is that it makes this keto gnocchi recipe gluten free as well.
The last thing I had to change is how to pair the keto gnocchi with a sauce that didn’t have a ton of carbs. So instead of a standard marinara sauce or pesto sauce I created this spicy crema using heavy cream and sour cream. Yes, it raises the saturated fat to 15 grams per serving. Adding chilies and garlic powder gives it a rich flavor.
How to cook keto gnocchi?
This pumpkin keto gnocchi has a delicate texture and definite pumpkin flavor. When paired with the spicy crema it’s totally out of this world. You could add some grilled chicken breast to this keto recipe for a heartier meal, too. I didn’t think about it until I’d already shot the pictures.
Low carb pumpkin gnocchi is a delicious keto recipe.
There’s a bit of a learning curve to this keto recipe. It’s kind of like the cauliflower “tater tots” recipe. The dough is almost all cheese so if the oil isn’t hot enough when you put it in the pan, it will melt everywhere. I tried poaching these more like regular gnocchi but I didn’t like the texture as much. The key that I discovered is that the quick frying method works way better.
In terms of the oil you use, don’t try extra virgin olive oil. It has a smoke point of 325 to 375 degrees fahrenheit. The smoke point is where an oil starts to break down and starts well, smoking. Olive oil has one of the lowest smoke points and you want things hot, like really hot. I found peanut oil and soybean oil work great as they have a smoke point of 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once you remove the gnocchi from the pan let it set for a few minutes to firm up.
For the crema heavy cream is simmered for about 3 to 4 minutes in a pan with the seasoning and pequin chiles. The chiles release flavor into the cream as it’s reducing. When you remove the pequin chiles, you whisk the sour cream in and let it heat through. Then spoon it over the keto gnocchi and top with the pecans and cilantro.
It’s both beautiful and delicious!
Low Carb Pumpkin Gnocchi in Spicy Crema Recipe
Here’s my keto gnocchi recipe. Enjoy!
Low Carb Pumpkin Gnocchi in Spicy Crema
For the Gnocchi
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 egg yolks
- Almond flour for tossing the gnocchi in before frying
- peanut oil or coconut oil for frying – High smoke point oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 chiles pequin
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
For the Gnocchi
- Melt the mozzarella, parmesan, and pumpkin together in the microwave, stirring often.
- When completely melted remove from the microwave and stir to combine.
- Knead in the egg yolks.
- Form into 3 long rolls about 2 inches in diameter and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill until firm or up to 3 days (freeze for longer storage)
- When ready to cook remove the plastic wrap and slice the gnocchi into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Toss in almond flour until there is a fine layer over all surfaces.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet until very hot.
- Add a couple of the gnocchi at a time, shaking the pan to keep them from sticking.
- Fry about 30 seconds on each side then remove from pan.
- Continue until all gnocchi are fried.
- Set aside to firm up.
- Heat the heavy cream, pequin chiles, cumin, and garlic powder until bubbles for around the edge of the pan.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the creamy reduces slightly.
- Remove the chiles and discard.
- Whisk in the sour cream until smooth and warmed through.
- Remove from the heat.
- Spoon over the gnocchi and sprinkle with the pecans and cilantro.
1 thought on “Low Carb Pumpkin Gnocchi in Spicy Crema￼”
So Tasty !!!!!