When pasta cravings hit this low carb pumpkin gnocchi in spicy crema will fight them off in style. Easy to make, you can keep rolls of the dough on hand in the fridge or freezer so you can make it in a snap!
For this recipe you’ll need: pumpkin, shredded mozzarella, parmesan, eggs, heavy cream, cumin, garlic powder, dried pequin chiles, sour cream, salt, pecans, fresh cilantro, and almond flour.
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the low carb pumpkin gnocchi recipe.
Table of Contents
It seems like the summer just flew by. I had a lot of goals and I don’t think I met any of them. There was just too much going on to concentrate on things like… you know… health and work!
Two of my sons did missions trips with our church. One went to Kenya for 10 days and the other went to San Antonio to help clean up and do minor repairs in the community. Then there was youth camp, a week at their dad’s out of state, a work related weekend in Austin for my husband and myself, and multiple trips to Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor. The fact that I didn’t gain wait was a shock and I’ll take that as a win.
So now it’s autumn and with it all things pumpkin.
This pumpkin gnocchi has a delicate texture and definite pumpkin flavor. When paired with the spicy crema it’s totally out of this world. You could add some grilled chicken breast to it for a heartier meal, too. I didn’t think about it until I’d already shot the pictures.
Handle with Care
There’s a bit of a learning curve to this recipe — kind of like the cauliflower “tater tots”. The dough is almost all cheese so if the oil isn’t hot enough when you put it in the pan it will melt everywhere. I tried poaching these more like regular gnocchi but I didn’t like the texture as much. The quick frying works better.
Once you remove the gnocchi from the pan let it set for a few minutes to firm up.
For the crema heavy cream is simmered for about 3 to 4 minutes in a pan with the seasoning and pequin chiles. The chiles release flavor into the cream as it’s reducing. When you remove the pequin chiles you whisk the sour cream in and let it heat through then spoon it over the gnocchi and top with the pecans and cilantro.
It’s both beautiful and delicious!
You may need.
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something we may get a small commission from Amazon. This is used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Please know this does not change the price you see on Amazon. Thank you for your help and support of Lowcarb-ology!
Pequin chiles are tiny, hot, chiles that are dried. They may be difficult to find in some parts of the country but you can get them on Amazon. A heavy skillet that heats evenly is imperative in this recipe. I love my Lodge cast iron and this 10-inch skillet is the perfect size for smaller portions.
Low Carb Pumpkin Gnocchi Recipe
Low Carb Pumpkin Gnocchi in Spicy Crema
For the Gnocchi
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
For the Gnocchi
- Melt the mozzarella, parmesan, and pumpkin together in the microwave, stirring often.
- When completely melted remove from the microwave and stir to combine.
- Knead in the egg yolks.
- Form into 3 long rolls about 2 inches in diameter and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill until firm or up to 3 days (freeze for longer storage)
- When ready to cook remove the plastic wrap and slice the gnocchi into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Toss in almond flour until there is a fine layer over all surfaces.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet until very hot.
- Add a couple of the gnocchi at a time, shaking the pan to keep them from sticking.
- Fry about 30 seconds on each side then remove from pan.
- Continue until all gnocchi are fried.
- Set aside to firm up.
- Heat the heavy cream, pequin chiles, cumin, and garlic powder until bubbles for around the edge of the pan.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the creamy reduces slightly.
- Remove the chiles and discard.
- Whisk in the sour cream until smooth and warmed through.
- Remove from the heat.
- Spoon over the gnocchi and sprinkle with the pecans and cilantro.
If you liked this low carb pumpkin gnocchi recipe you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right: low carb cabbage carbonara, low carb cauliflower puttanesca, low carb Da Vinci pasta