Low-carb raspberry thumbprint scones are sweet, crumbly, and have only 5.5 carbs for every generous serving. They are easy to make, too. It’s a no excuses low-carb breakfast!
My love for raspberries is well known to anyone who knows me. I blame my Aunt, who had a huge vegetable garden. Not only did she grow bushels of the best corn EVER she had rows and rows of raspberries. We’d head down there on summer mornings and slap mosquitoes while we picked. It was all worth it because not only were we stuffing our mouths with ripe, tangy raspberries but we knew that there was raspberry shortcake in our immediate futures.
I still love them. I don’t buy them often because they are expensive here but once in awhile I treat myself to a batch.
Anyway, I have been really too busy to play around much with recipes. I have wanted to begin to work more with coconut flour, almond meal, and flaxseed meal but haven’t had a chance… until now.
I’ve tried a lot of ways to make low-carb scones in the past but always had them fail miserably. These took a couple of tries, and I am not sure that I won’t be working on the texture more, but all in all they are rich, buttery, sweet, and most of all… low-carb. So, to all of you who have been asking for more low-carb breakfast items – here ya go.
Low-carb raspberry thumbprint scones are really easy to make. You just shape them with your hands because rolling them out and cutting them would leave you with crumbles. After they are shaped and placed on a lightly greased baking sheet you gently make an indentation in the center and fill it with a 0 carb raspberry jam. Heads up – I am going to try to make a raspberry cream cheese danish in the next few weeks because this recipe gave me an idea.
If the dough is too crumbly add a little more cream until it holds together more easily.
It may take a couple of times before you get the texture just right – crumbly enough to be flaky but not so crumbly you can’t form them into scones!
Once they are baked let them cool for a few minutes.
These low-carb raspberry thumbprint scones are not tiny, either. They are big, filling, and don’t leave you craving “something”. Add a cup of coffee and you’re ready to go.
You can freeze these if you like. Just be sure that they are in a sturdy, airtight container. i wouldn’t freeze for more than a month.
Table of Contents
Tips for Making Low-Carb Raspberry Thumbprint Scones
- Make sure that all of your ingredients are very cold. Once you mix the dry ingredients put the bowl in the freezer for awhile – even better if you are using a stainless steel bowl.
- Don’t remove the butter from the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. Keep the cream icy cold, too.
- Do not over bake!
- These have a somewhat dry, crumbly texture. Allowing them to cool for a bit before eating makes them less crumbly.
Low-Carb Raspberry Thumbprint Scones (Starbucks Copycat)
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons xylitol
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- salt a pinch
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut syrup torani sugar free
- 4 tablespoons raspberry jam walden farms 0 carb
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Blend the coconut flour, almond flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder together in a food processor with a couple of quick pulses.
- Blend in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Mix the beaten egg, syrup, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of the cream.
- Add the liquid ingredients mixture to the dry mixture and pulse a couple of times.
- Dump the container out on to a piece of waxed paper and mold the dough into 4 scones about 1 inch thick.
- If they seem to crumbly return them to the processor and add two more tablespoons of cream, pulsing a couple of times.
- Put the scones on a cookie sheet.
- Press down the center and add 1 tablespoon of the jam to each one.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Ingredients used in this recipe (affiliate links)
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something we may get a small commission from Amazon. This is used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Please know this does not change the price you see on Amazon. Thank you for your help and support of Lowcarb-ology!
If you liked Low-Carb Raspberry Thumbprint Scones you may also like –
- Low Carb Cheese Danish – Lowcarb-ology
- Low Carb Donut Holes Lowcarb-ology
- Cinnamon Roll Scones – All Day I Dream About Food
- Lemon Cream Cheese Scones – Low-carb Luxury
Hey, if this was helpful please share generously. ð