I have found that the more flavor something has the easier it is for me to stay away from carbs. I definitely need big, bold flavors in my diet! This low carb spicy Thai salad totally fits the bill.
For this recipe you’ll need: cabbage, red cabbage, green onion, snow peas, celery, avocado, roasted cashews, carrot, basil, cilantro, jalapeno. Dressing: peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, red chile sesame oil, soy sauce, molasses, garlic, ginger, and erythritol or your favorite sugar free sweetener.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
I think this is just as pretty as it is delicious. Imagine how many covetous looks you’ll be getting for coworkers when you take this low carb spicy Thai salad for lunch.
What a great way to have the last laugh on all of those people who ate pizza in front of you when you were on induction.
I love finding hacks to get things on the dinner table as fast as I can. I buy a bag of coleslaw mix and use that. I usually don’t feel like taking the time to grate cabbage. Since this salad doesn’t store well I like to make the spicy peanut dressing and keep it in the refrigerator. I mix the salad ingredients except the avocado and cashews and keep that in a storage container. If I just want one salad, I take a handful of the salad, pour a couple of tablespoons of he dressing over top, and then sprinkle with cashews and avocado. Yummy salad for one!
OK. Let’s talk flavor. This is spicy from the chili oil and the jalapenos. Cabbage and cashews add a nice, satisfying crunch, the vinegar and lime give it a little pucker. Fresh ginger and garlic provide exotic warmth, and the avocado pieces, along with the peanut dressing, give it richness. I think it works perfectly as a light lunch or dinner. it’s a little too heavy for me to use as a side. I am a very light eater and I get full really fast.
Yes, it does have a tiny bit of molasses for flavor – it adds nearly nothing nutritionally but it does give a little bit of flavor. I hope you’ll try this and then come back and let me know what you think!
Table of Contents
Low Carb Spicy Thai Salad with Cashews
- 3 cups cabbage shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup snow peas sliced on a diagonal
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 1/2 cup avocado diced
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup carrot shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno or more to taste
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter smooth or creamy
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red chile-sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspons erythritol or other sugar free sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon of molasses
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- Night before you want to use the dressing whisk the dressing ingredients together until well mixed.
- Add enough water to make it a good, pourable consistency.
- Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.
- Mix all ingredients gently in a bowl.
- Pour the salad dressing over and toss so the dressing coats all of the ingredients.
- Serve immediately with slices of lime to squeeze over the top.