Why is it that just about every comfort food in the entire universe has a high carb count? One of my absolute favorites is stuffed peppers. Apparently it’s a favorite of a lot of people because it is one of the most popular recipes on my “regular food” blog.
For this recipe you’ll need: poblano peppers, cauliflower, ground beef, onion, and tomato sauce.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
It’s an easy, slow cooker stuffed pepper recipe, by the way, if you happen to be looking for one. The thing is, stuffed peppers are traditionally stuffed with rice and meat. The meat is fine but the rice is stuffed with carbohydrates.
I’ve tried stuffing the peppers with just meat but it just isn’t the same.
Yesterday we had a big family dinner. It was my oldest son’s last day at home before he headed off to his new assignment with the Thunderbirds in Nevada. It’s much closer than when he was in Japan (7 years!) but still a little too far for my taste! He likes stuffed peppers so I made them. I was pretty sure that if I didn’t figure out a low carb alternative I was going to be ingesting a chunk of carbohydrates.
These stuffed poblano peppers worked out really well. I steamed them in the oven right along with the regular stuffed peppers and they were perfect. You could also put them in the crockpot with the rest of the family’s peppers OR heat them up in the microwave if you are just making them for you.
I used poblano peppers in this recipe because they have a few less carbs and they do add a lot of flavor and a little heat. If you would rather use a Bell pepper go right ahead – you can even use this mixture in stuffed cabbage.
I like sour cream to offset the heat in the peppers. That isn’t figured in the nutritional information but a tablespoon of pure sour cream doesn’t have carbs so you are good there.
I like these served with pork rinds and garlic butter. That’s my person stand in for garlic bread.
Table of Contents
Low Carb Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cauliflower
- 1/3 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- Cut the poblano pepper in half and take out the seeds.
- Set aside.
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a small skillet.
- Mix the ground beef mixture with the cauliflower and tomato sauce.
- Spoon into the pepper halves.
- Place the peppers in a shallow dish with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Let stand, covered for 3 minutes.
- Place peppers in a casserole dish with a tablespoon or so of water for each pepper.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 375 oven
- Add 1/2 inch of water or tomato juice to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Lay the stuffed peppers in carefully.
- Slow cook for about 4 hours or until done. (they will cook right along with your other peppers if you are doing some for the family, too.
If you liked thess Low Carb Stuffed Poblano Peppers, You May Also Like
Click on the picture or the name of the recipe to go straight to it, Low carb waffles, Almost Migas, Keto Egg Parmesan.
4 thoughts on “Low Carb Stuffed Poblano Peppers”
I stuffed mine with Mexican cheese and added guacamole. Delicious!
YUM! That sounds so good!
Going to try this, too. I’ve loved the flavors I’d ask of your other low carb dishes. Would cumin work in this dish? Cilantro? How to smoke them on grill? Thanks for your help.
Oh yes making a chile relleno on the grill is very delicious, just make sure you wrap it in good thick foil paper so when grilling you protect the pepper .