This quick, easy low carb stuffing recipe is a delicious addition to any holiday meal! Cook it in the bird for a flavorful stuffing or simply serve straight from the skillet for a delicious dressing on the side. Spicy sausage, cauli-rice, and pecans give flavor and texture to this perfect-for-the-season recipe.
Best of all, only 6 grams of carbs per serving !
For this recipe you’ll need: bulk spicy breakfast sausage, onion, celery, pecans, chicken stock, cauliflower, cilantro or parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, rubbed sage, and salt.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
Where I’m from dressing is a dish that goes alongside the turkey and stuffing goes inside the turkey. I’ve noticed, though, that it changes depending on who I’m talking to and what part of the country they ‘re from!
This can be either a delicious stuffing or a yummy dressing – it’s up to you. It’s fantastic stuffed into Cornish hens, chicken, or turkey. It’s delicious served alongside any of those or even pork roast.
I have real trouble staying on track during the holidays – I love all of the carbs from stuffing to pie. Recipes like this help me to eat clean most of the time – although I’m not above nibbling on the bread dressing as I’m carving the bird.
The other day I was at a local market that I love but don’t shop at very often. It is 3o minutes away through Dallas traffic and I am just not often in the mood to drive it.
The reason I love this particular store is that it carries a huge variety of produce. There’s always something there that I haven’t tried or haven’t seen before! This trip I grabbed a bright orange cauliflower. The color reminded me of Cheddar cheese and I thought it would be great to make “mac and cheese”with. I mean the color is already there!
Instead I decided to see if I could come up with a low carb stuffing recipe that was similar to some of the sausage and rice stuffings that I’ve had in Louisiana. This came out perfectly!
Table of Contents
Tips for Low Carb Sausage Stuffing
This is the easiest stuff in the world to make. Here are some tips to keep your low carb sausage stuffing tasting just right.
- Don’t freeze it. The cauliflower is likely to get watery.
- Don’t have pecans? Use walnuts instead.
- You can make this up to 2 days ahead of time and cover it tightly then put it in the fridge. It tastes better once it’s sat around for a few hours anyway.
- You can add diced jalapenos if you want to pump up the burn.
- Saute some mushrooms in with the onion and sausage if you want.
- Use beef stock instead of chicken stock to serve it with roast beef.
Low Carb Stuffing Recipe
Low Carb Sausage Stuffing Recipe
- 8 ounces sausage , bulk breakfast sausage – spicy
- 1/4 cup onion , diced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 8 ounces cauliflower , “rice”
- 1/4 cup pecans , toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Salt if needed
- Chop the cauliflower finely into rice sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- Add the sausage to a large skillet.
- Cook, stirring often until it begins to render the fat.
- Add the onion and celery – continue to saute until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked through and liquid has mostly been absorbed.
- Serve hot as is or cool and use to stuff chicken or Cornish hen.