Named a top Diabetes Healthy Holiday Recipe 2015 ?by Healthline! Creamy and buttery, this low carb sweet potato mash with pecan topping has just 5 net carbs per serving.The candied pecan topping makes this easy recipe the perfect side dish for pork, turkey, or chicken. So pretty you can easily serve it at holiday parties. Pumpkin and cauliflower stand in for the higher carb sweet potatoes.?The images and nutritional info have been updated from the original October 2013 publishing date.
For this recipe you’ll need: cauliflower, pumpkin puree, butter, heavy cream, xylitol, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger, nutmeg, pecans
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the low carb sweet potato mash recipe.
Low carb sweet potato recipe? Yep. You can do this. These “sweet potatoes” only have 5.3 net carbs per serving. Compare that to 17 net carbs in the real thing. All the flavor and a fraction of the carbs?
Actually you could probably get the carbs lower if you need to. Just leave off the pecan topping.
In case you haven’t looked at a calendar lately the holidays are fast approaching and with them all of those high carb foods we love. Well this year things can be different because this year you can stick to your low carb lifestyle without feeling like you have missed out on the good stuff.
This simple dish is a good, Atkins-friendly substitute for sweet potatoes.
One of the tricks to the flavor in this dish is caramelizing the xylitol. This works just like sugar ??you’ll add two tablespoons of xylitol to a small pan and heat it, stirring once in awhile until the xylitol melts and turns golden. Do not let it burn! Watch it really carefully.
Adjust the sweetness and spices to your own taste and, as always, use whole nutmeg and grate it yourself. The flavor is amazing. This side dish is quick and easy?? you can have it in your mouth in less than 20 minutes. Yes, it has cauliflower but you won’t be tasting it. You need it for the bulk and texture. The pumpkin gives natural sweetness and color.
Hey, have I steered you wrong yet? Try making this before next week because next week I am going to dress this dish up holiday style and use it to adapt my?famous bourbon sweet potato pecan holiday casserole. You do not want to miss that!
Low Carb Sweet Potato Mash Recipe
Low Carb ?Sweet Potato Mash?
- Cook the cauliflower in a little water in a covered pan until it is very soft.
- Drain well.
- Add the cauliflower, pumpkin, butter, cream, salt, and spices to a food processor.
- Meanwhile add the xylitol to a heavy pan. Melt it over medium heat, stirring once in awhile until it is a liquid.
- Watching it carefully, and stirring occasionally, continue to heat the xylitol until it turns golden brown.
- Set aside for a minute or two to cool slightly.
- Pulse the ingredients in the food processor until mushy.
- Add the caramelized xylitol.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- If it is too watery you can put the mixture back into the pan and cook off some of the liquid.
- Put in bowl and set aside.
- Melt the xylitol in a small saucepan until it is liquid.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Stir to coat the pecans.
- Add the butter and stir until well blended.
- Let cool slightly.
- Spoon over the "sweet potatoes" before serving