Low-carb vanilla bean sugar cookies are buttery and sweet and they make perfect cut out cookies for Valentines Day and other celebrations. Plus, learn how to make low-carb colored “sugar”.
Low-Carb cookies aren’t something I eat often. I don’t know about you but I don’t like to waste my carbs on stuff that is not delicious. Well… These are.
Low-carb cookie recipes can often be delicious but sometimes I want it to be pretty, too. That’s where it gets tough, right? Sprinkles, colored sugar, all of that pretty stuff is all carbs. Maybe not a lot of carbs but still…
These low-carb vanilla bean sugar cookies are delicious and pretty! Plus, they only have little, itty bitty, tiny, allowable carbs.
And they are gluten free.
Did I mention the part about delicious?
I found the inspiration for this recipe at All Day I Dream About Food. The maple cookies that Carolyn made looked amazing but they weren’t really what I wanted for Valentine’s Day. I made some changes and these came out about as perfect as I could ask for. They are a little crumbly, buttery, and have lots of vanilla flavor with a delicate taste of coconut. A nice thing about it is with all of the fiber you really can’t eat very many.
I wanted to see if I could color Xylitol to make it like decorative sugar. The answer is yes! However, like many things, you won’t get a result that is exactly like sugar. The Xylitol melts a little during baking – still very pretty, I think.
I tried it two ways, one by brushing the cookies with an egg wash before adding the sugar and the other just adding the colored sugar. Don’t bother with the egg wash – the plain ones with sugar were way better.
Table of Contents
Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles
- 1/2 cup Xylitol
- food color Few drops - of choice
- Add the pieces of vanilla bean and the butter to a microwaveable dish.
- Microwave until melted.
- Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or silpat sheet.
- Whisk the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl
- Remove the vanilla bean from the butter and scrape the seeds back into the butter.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and add the cooled butter and vanilla bean seeds.
- Stir in the vanilla and stevia powder.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.
- Place waxed paper on the counter. If you dampen the counter underneath it won't slip.
- Gather the dough up into a ball and flatten it on the waxed paper.
- Place another sheet of waxed paper over the top and roll the dough between the two sheets of waxed paper.
- When it is a little under 1/8 inch thick remove the top layer of waxed paper and cut out the shapes of your choice.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 275F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and firm.
- Let cool completely.
- Mix the Xylitol and food coloring until it is evenly colored.
- Let dry for at least an hour.
- Store in a dry, airtight container.
If you liked Low-Carb Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies you may also like…
- Low-Carb Dark Chocolate Candy with Sea Salt
- Low-Carb Chocolate Pound Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies Temple of Adventure
Supplies you might need…
These are affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, Amazon may provide us with a small commision. Please know this does not change the price you pay. This helps to support the blog. Thank you for your help and support of Low-carbology !