Low carb M&Ms cookies are perfect for those times that you are so sick of low carb you could die and you just want something that is normal… or almost normal. They are slightly different in texture but the cookies are sweet, buttery, and are dotted with Atkins low-carb candy covered chocolates. Sometimes you just need to be a kid again — and now you can do it without screwing up all that low-carb hard work you’ve done so far.
OK y’all. I am not going to sit here and tell you that these low carb M&Ms cookies are exactly like the M&Ms cookies that you know and love. They aren’t. The texture is slightly different and the flavor, while similar, isn’t exactly the same. HOWEVER, these are dang good and I don’t think you’ll find many low-carb cookies that can beat them in flavor.
Plus they’ve got just 1.3 net carbs per cookie. NORMAL sized cookies not the quarter sized diet cookies, either.
One thing about these is that you don’t want to eat them hot. For some weird reason there is no flavor until the cookie has cooled thoroughly. So, look at them longingly if you must but let them cool on the counter for at least an hour for the best yumminess factor.
They freeze well so I’d suggest you make a batch, put one or two in small resealable snack bags, and put all the snack bags into a freezer container. Pop it in the freezer and you have fresh treats whenever you’d like — plus keeping them in the freezer discourages wanton cookie scavenging.
I made M&Ms cookies a lot when my kids were small and they were always a treat. We liked to put ice cream between two cookies to make ice cream sandwiches. I am thinking of making a low carb ice cream and doing just exactly that with these.
The red M&Ms are my favorite. I don’t know why but they are. When my kids were little I had them convinced that the red ones were kind of like a tithe to Mommy and they’d solemnly hold out their chubby little hands to give me the red ones. A lot of the time they still do… and my husband saves them for me, too.
If you don’t see many red candies in these low carb m&ms cookies just chalk it up to the Mommy-tithe, ok?
The following is an affiliate link. If you click through and buy something we may get a small commission from Amazon. Please know this does not increase the price you pay. This helps to support the blog. Thank you for your help and support of Lowcarb-ology.
If you can’t find the Atkins candy locally Amazon has it, as well as the butter flavoring.
Low Carb M&M's Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup erythritol powdered in the blender - or your favorite measure for measure sugar free sweetener
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal - golden
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1- ounce Chocolate Candies they look like M&Ms - packages of Atkins Endulge
- Mix the butter, eggs, and erythritol on medium speed until blended.
- Add the vanilla, butter flavor, and almond extract.
- Beat quickly just to blend.
- In a bowl mix the almond flour, flaxseed meal, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Stir into the butter mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Add the candy, stirring them in by hand.
- Let stand for about 3 minutes to thicken up.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on a baking sheet lined with parchment or Silpat.
- Bake at 350F for 10 -12 minutes. DO NOT overbake - centers will still be slightly soft.
- Cool completely before eating. The flavor intensifies as it cools.