A low carb, one minute hummingbird muffin is a wonderful thing to wake up to! Just mix together the batter, pour into a prepared mug, and microwave while you are pouring your coffee. Generously sized, this breakfast muffin is east to share. Just 6.2 net carbs for a whole muffin.
For this recipe you’ll need: butter, almond flour, banana whey protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar free sweetener, pecans, egg, banana flavoring, coconut-pineapple water enhancer drops, unsweetened coconut flakes, nonstick cooking spray, and a large mug.
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the recipe.
You know, having lived in the South most of my life I have eaten my share of hummingbird cake, hummingbird muffins, and various hummingbird variations. As a matter of fact, when I was little I was terribly offended at the idea that someone would put hummingbirds in a cake. Let’s not talk about what I thought the first time I was served a Shoofly pie in Amish country when I was small… anyway… Since I have been older I’ve come to love the sweet, tropical flavors of this treat but I still wonder why it’s called a hummingbird cake. I’m pretty sure that if a hummingbird ate even one bite it would spend time flopping around on the ground unable to fly until complete digestion had occurred.
If you don’t know what hummingbird muffins are you are in for a treat — and actually, you’re in for a treat even if you do know. They are a combination of banana and pineapple, often with a little coconut sprinkle, and as far as I know here in Texas, never made without pecans. You know, because we put either pecans or chipotle in everything… and sometimes both.
Obviously when you’re living the low carb lifestyle you really want to stay away from things like bananas and pineapple. You’d thing that I’d accept the fact that hummingbird cake was not an option but I’m kind of stubborn like that. Doctors once told me I’d never be able to get pregnant and give birth so I had to prove them wrong. I have eight kids… So anyway, I keep seeing new flavors of water enhancer and I keep thinking of new ways to use it. Hummingbird cake was just a matter of time once I saw the pineapple-coconut flavor.
I based the one minute hummingbird muffin on a mug cake recipe at Ditch the Carbs, a great site with some amazing recipes. You can get lost over there just looking at all the great ideas.
I used the DaSani Pineapple-Coconut water enhancer drops to add the pineapple flavor without adding carbs. You can add a couple extra drops for more flavor or add less if you like. Adjust it to your own tastes. I used the Isopure Banana 0 carb protein powder to help with the texture and to enhance the banana part of the flavor. Also, I find that Frontier Banana flavoring does not have that weird, artificial tastes that other brands do.
Table of Contents
One Minute Hummingbird Muffin
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon banana whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Swerve sweetener
- Pinch of white stevia powder if desired
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon banana flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon Coconut-Pineapple water enhancer drops
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Spray a large mug with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan, stirring gently until it is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix the almond flour, whey protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder, Swerve, stevia, and chopped pecans.
- Add the egg, the flavoring, the water enhancer drops, and the melted butter.
- Stir quickly and spoon into the mug.
- Microwave on high for 40 seconds, or until it is just done in the center. Do NOT overcook.
- Let stand a minute then turn out onto a plate sprinkled with unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Roll the warm muffin gently in the coconut and sprinkle some on top before serving.
If you liked this one minute hummingbird muffin you may also like…
Grab and Go Pancake Muffins All Day I Dream About Food
Cream Cheese Filled Carrot Muffins Low Carb Yum