Ranch chicken casserole is low carb but not low flavor! Chicken breast, bacon, cauliflower, and poblano are bathed in a creamy Alfredo sauce then topped with Cheddar cheese for an Atkins friendly meal anytime.
For this recipe you’ll need: chicken breast, olive oil, cauliflower, poblano, onion, cream cheese, heavy cream, Cheddar cheese, garlic powder, cumin, and southwestern seasoning mix (sugar free).
If you’re in a hurry click here to go straight to the recipe.
We all know that Tex-Mex food is high on my list so it’s not a big surprise to find the poblano and cumin on the ingredients list!
I’ve been working on my editorial calendar for next month for my bigger blog, Restless Chipotle. Being a food writer is lots of fun but it’s also tough because you are constantly looking ahead and trying to figure out what everyone is going to want to eat two months from now. Anyway, I came across a recipe for ranch chicken bubble-up on the Pillsbury site. It was made with biscuit dough and chicken and lots of my favorite flavors. And it was loaded, loaded, loaded with carbs. I thought the flavors would be great, though and decided to use cauliflower as the foundation. It worked perfectly!
Once you cover the chicken breast with the southwestern seasoning you’ll need to let it sit for 10 minutes or so while you are steaming the cauliflower and grating the cheese — or playing SimCity BuildIt. Whatever.
During that time the meat absorbs some of the flavor from the seasoning and it just tastes better. You’ll need a cast iron pan so that you can get it super hot. That’s how you are going to get that gorgeous caramelization on the chicken. Once everything is mixed together you just slide it under the broiler for a few minutes so the cheese can get bubbly and you’ve got an amazing Tex-Mex dinner with just a little over 3 carbs per serving.
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something we may get a small commission from Amazon. This is used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Please know this does not change the price you see on Amazon. Thank you for your help and support of Lowcarb-ology!
I love these little, individual sized pots with covers. They are cast iron covered in enamel and are perfect for personal sized casseroles. The cast iron keep the food warm for a long time, too! You’ll also want to make sure you have a heavy cast iron skillet. This gets really hot and makes a gorgeous crust on the chicken. Finally, McCormick Southwest Seasoning is what I used. It doesn’t have sugar and it is delicious!
Table of Contents
Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Cut the chicken breast into 1-inch cubes.
- Place in a bowl and toss with the seasoning.
- Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Steam 2 ounces of cauliflower until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat a heavy skillet and add the olive oil using a spatula to cover the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Add the chicken and let it sear on the bottom a few minutes before turning it to sear on the other side.
- Turn the heat down and add the poblano and onion.
- Cook, moving the ingredients around with the spatula once in awhile, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix the chicken mixture and the cauliflower in a broiler-safe dish.
- Mix the cream cheese and heavy cream in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Heat until the cheese is softened.
- Add the garlic and cumin
- Stir until smooth and pour over the chicken mixture, stirring gently to coat.
- Sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.