This low carb strawberries and cream muffin is low carb, gluten free, and just the taste of summer that will make you want to get up in the morning. Strawberry flavored muffin surrounds a cream cheese center. Since it’s baked in a mug in the microwave it’s done in minutes.
I think it’s a lot easier to stick to a low carb diet in the cooler months. After all, roast chicken, pot roast, stews, and creamy soups are serious comfort foods. It’s not so easy in the summer when the produce section of my grocery store smells like a Hawaiian Punch volcano spewed Hawaiian Punch Lava in a large enough amount to create a Hawaiian Punch Lazy River through the Grand Canyon.
You know what I mean, I know you do.
It’s just so much easier to pass up a grapefruit than it is a ripe strawberry or peach. I know a lot of you may be able to eat fruit but I almost never can get away with it. I blow up like the blueberry chick in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory if a drop of fructose touches my lips.
Anyway. A few weeks ago I discovered that the powdered Kool Aid, the old fashioned kind you get in the packets? Well it can make baked goods tastes fruitier than real fruit. It’s the weirdest thing ever. It gives it an intense color and tangy fruit flavor that is so good.
It has totally changed my life — or at least the way I bake. It’s brilliant, if I do say so myself! ::insert maniacal laughter:::
This strawberries and cream muffin has a delicate almond flavor which gives a touch of elegance to the blast of strawberry you get in each bite. The the cream cheese inside just sort of smoothes things out afterwards. It’s kind of like Audrey Hepburn, Pink, and Carol Brady hanging out together. Crazy as hell but it works.
I added a dollop of lightly sweetened sour cream and cocoa nibs to the top for a little color and texture. The muffin doesn’t really need them but the picture did. 🙂 I also melted some low carb raspberry jelly in the microwave and glazed the top for a little extra flavor.
The following is an affiliate link. If you click and buy something it helps support the blog — thanks so much!
I use this raspberry jelly for so much of my low-carb baking. It has 0 calories and 0 carbs and it is pretty good.
Strawberries and Cream Muffin (Low Carb and GF)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of cream cheese divided use
- 1 tablespoon whole milk ricotta
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry Kool Aid powder from the small packet that you have to add sugar to
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoon of Xylitol or equivalent in your favorite sweetener or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Warm the butter, ricotta, and 1 teaspoon of cream cheese in the microwave.
- Blend well with a fork.
- Add the egg, the butter mixture, vanilla, baking powder, almond flour, Kool Aid Powder, and xylitol to a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Spray the inside of a coffee mug with baking release spray.
- Spoon the batter into the mug.
- Push one tablespoon of cream cheese into the batter.
- Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes or until set. The top will still be gooey - do not over bake.
- Let stand in microwave for about 3 minutes.
?If you liked this?Strawberries and Cream Muffin you may also like…
Low-Carb Ricotta Muffins Baking Outside the Box
French Toast? DJ Foodie