What’s summer without a bowl of low carb homemade ice cream? This homemade strawberry ice cream recipe is full of sweet berry flavor with a dash of tequila that gives it just a hint of margarita flavor and helps it freeze into that smooth, creamy concoction that everyone loves. Best of all it’s low carb and keto friendly! You’ll need an ice cream maker but it’s so much easier than anything you can buy that it’s worth every penny!
For this recipe you’ll need: heavy cream, half and half cream (light cream), swerve sweetener, egg yolks, vanilla extract, sugar free strawberry syrup, tequila, salt, and sugar free lemonade water enhancer.
Table of Contents
What is low carb ice cream made of?
When you can make creamy, homemade strawberry ice cream with just 5 net carbs it’s easy to stay in your keto lifestyle.
Sugar free ice cream is another way to talk about keto ice cream. The idea is to get rid of all the sugar that is in regular ice cream. So no pouring cups of sugar in to the recipe to make this treat. Instead, I used a sugar free sweetener, sugar free syrups, and sugar free water enhancers.
As you know, we have changed our body’s fuel source from sugar to fat. For example, regular vanilla ice cream has about 7 grams of fat per serving. This recipe has lots of fat as well with the use of heavy whipping cream, half and half, and egg yolk. Thankfully no almond milk or coconut milk is needed.
For a real treat, you can add a small dollop of keto whipped cream on top. Just no maraschino cherry !
Low Carb Strawberry Ice Cream Backstory
July is kind of a party month for my family between the 4th of July holiday and birthdays on the 1st, 3rd, and 11th. So we kick off the summer with a big 4th of July party. We keep the party going by having one big birthday party blowout. Of course you can’t have a party without ice cream so that’s why I created this ice cream recipe.
Some of parents don’t enjoy their kids teenage years Thankfully I think there’s isn’t a stage in my kids’ lives that I haven’t enjoyed. Well, except the one where they move out that’s always bittersweet. Anyway, we had 12 or so teenagers here and they enjoyed some of the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that were for the little ones. I grilled steaks and we had two kinds of cake. I made a pineapple upside down cake for the kids and my low carb cake for those of us that have gone keto. Plus, I made my Coca Cola Cake for a chocolate treat. It was perfect except for one thing.
I have only one ice cream maker and I didn’t make any low carb ice cream. I did have store bought chocolate ice cream so the kids had their traditional ice cream.
So, we were also grilling on the 4th of July and I decided right then to make my friend and myself some keto strawberry ice cream to go with our bunless burgers and my favorite faux macaroni salad.
This keto ice cream recipe is creamy and sweet with fresh strawberry ice cream flavor. Thanks to the sugar free strawberry syrup it’s only got 5 net carbs per serving. Different ice cream makers may whip this with more or less air so your serving sizes may vary a little. For reference, the servings I made were close to a cup each and we didn’t want more because it’s so rich.
Low Carb Ice Cream FAQs
Is ice cream allowed on a low carb diet?
You can if you keep it low carb. There are several commercial varieties of keto vanilla ice cream and keto chocolate ice cream for example available. I think Halo top is one brand I’ve tried, but I am not a big fan of any of the keto ice cream in the grocery store. I do love the flavor and richness of homemade low carb ice cream though. Keep in mind that ice cream, even homemade keto ice cream, is meant to be an occasional treat not a daily thing.
Is ice cream bad for diabetics?
It’s important to keep track of your carbs no matter what you eat. Ice cream is no worse than It’s important to keep track of your carbs no matter what you eat. Ice cream is no worse than any higher carb food but when you make low carb ice cream it shouldn’t have much impact at all. Just make sure to follow a keto ice cream recipe closely to make sure you get rid of as much of the sugar as possible.
How do you make homemade ice cream from scratch?
Homemade ice cream usually starts with a custard.
- Stir in heavy cream, half and half, and sweetener into a saucepan over medium low heat until bubbles form around the edge.
- Add the egg yolks in whisking constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Add flavorings and transfer to your ice cream maker.
- Turn on the machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ice cream is usually ready in about 20 minutes.
Can you make keto ice cream without an ice cream maker?
Don’t have an ice cream maker? This may work for you!
- Mix all ingredients (leave out the egg yolk).
- Pour into a quart sized bag and seal.
- Fill a gallon sized bag 3/4 full of ice, then add 1/3 cup salt to the ice.
- Place the smaller bag inside the larger bag and seal the larger bag.
- Shake vigorously for 5 minutes.
Do you need an ice cream maker to make ice cream?
There are several recipes that don’t require an ice cream maker but if you love ice cream and you want to have it regularly an ice cream maker generally makes a higher quality, better ice cream especially low carb versions.
Is ice cream keto friendly?
Low carb ice cream is. It has plenty of good fats to keep you satisfied and is sweetened with sugar free sweeteners that don’t raise your blood sugar. Likewise it has the fats we need for energy instead of sugar.
Tips for Making this Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
The strawberry ice cream recipe is pretty straight forward but these tips will help you:
- For a lighter, less dense ice cream hold out half the heavy cream. Whip it and fold it in to the cFor a lighter, less dense ice cream hold out half the heavy cream. Whip it and fold it in to the cooled custard before adding to the ice cream maker.
- Let the custard completely cool before adding it to the ice cream maker. If possible, cover the custard and refrigerate overnight for the best results.
- If you have time let it firm up in the freezer for 6 hours or so after you make it.
- Homemade keto ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to a week but no more than that.
You May Need…
The following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This is used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Please know this does not change the price you see on Amazon.
Thank you for your help and support of Lowcarb-ology!
I have a Breville and after using it I can tell you I will never ever use anything else. It has its own compressor so you don’t have to freeze the bowl, it does all of the freezing automatically you just need to set it to the right consistency.
If you dont have an ice cream maker, you can get them fast with free shipping with Amazon Prime. Dont have Prime yet? Want to try it for free for 30 days? You get free Amazon Video and best of all, free shipping ! Try the Amazon Prime 30 Day Free Trial here.
Low Carb Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
This is my new favorite keto friendly ice cream! If you have some fresh strawberries you could chop them up and add them to the mixture just before it’s finished freezing but be sure to figure in the extra carbs and calories.
Navigation tip: If you want to make more than 4 servings, place your cursor over the number “4” to the right of the “Servings” header in the recipe below. A slider will appear and you can move it to the amount you want to make. The ingredient amounts will adjust for you so no math ! If you love this keto recipe please give it 5 stars thanks!
Strawberry Ice Cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half cream , you may know it as light cream
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar free strawberry syrup , I used Torani
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum , optional – helps with texture
- 1/8 teaspoon lemonade water enhancer
- Beat the egg yolks until very light and lemon colored and set aside.
- Add the half and half, the heavy cream, Swerve, and the salt to a heavy sauce pan and heat until just about to boil – bubbles will form around the edge of the pan and it will start to steam.
- With the mixer running, carefully pour 1/4 of a cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pan whisking constantly so the egg yolks don’t scramble.
- Heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon — don’t let it boil.
- Cover and refrigerate until cool.
- Add the syrup, tequila, vanilla, xanthan gum, and water enhancer and whisk in well.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.