This ultra-creamy white chicken chili recipe is low carb and family friendly. It’s the perfect comfort food for chilly evenings or busy weekends. You just toss everything into the slow cooker in the morning and by dinner time it’s ready to go. You can also divide it into serving sizes and freeze them as an easy addition to your meal prep rotation.
For this recipe you’ll need: boneless chicken breast, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, chicken stock, canned chopped green chiles, butter, half and half cream, cream cheese, sour cream, cilantro, red onion, Pepper-Jack cheese, slow cooker, meal prep containers if you’ll be using it in meal prep
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the easy white chicken chili recipe.
I love white chicken chili! It’s so creamy and comforting — not something we normally need even in the winter time here in Texas but it doesn’t matter to me. I’ve been known to enjoy it smack in the middle of a 110F summer day! I have the best recipe ever for regular white chicken chili on Restless Chipotle and whenever I’d make it for my family I’d slide off the low-carb bus and tuck in.
Eventually a lightbulb went off and I realized it would be super easy to take that yummy, creamy white chicken chili and make it creamy LOW CARB white chicken chili.
The rest, my friends, is history.
You can make this two ways. The easiest way is to make a big batch of it in the slow cooker from the recipe below. You can freeze it for up to 6 months in portion sizes with no problem at all. If you want, though, you can use leftover cooked chicken and just shred it up then microwave a fraction of the sauce ingredients and pour it over the chicken. Sometimes I do it that way if I’m meal prepping for the week and I’ve made several chicken breasts.
Either way it’s fantastic – although the flavor and texture is better with the slow cooker method.
Table of Contents
Low Carb White Chicken Chili Recipe
White Chicken Chili: Creamy Low-Carb Goodness
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 9 ounces chopped green chiles drained (2 4.5-ounce cans)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro if desired
- 1/3 cup red onion peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Pepper-Jack cheese
- Place chicken breasts in the crockpot.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, chicken stock, and green chiles.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- An hour before serving heat the butter, cream, cream cheese, and sour cream in a saucepan, whisking until smooth.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker with two forks.
- Add the cream mixture to the chicken mixture in the slow cooker and cook on low for about 1 more hour.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, red onion, and Pepper Jack to serve.
If you liked this low carb recipe you may also like…