When it comes to low carb recipes my favorites are pretty much always Tex-Mex inspired. This beef pozole verde (Pozole Verde Con Carne de Res)is a low carb version of a spicy Mexican soup with all of those warm, south of the border flavors I love. Best of all, you can make it using leftover pot roast when you’re doing a weekly meal prep.
For this recipe you’ll need: leftover cooked pot roast, cauliflower, salsa verde, Ro*Tel tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, beef stock, green onions, cheddar cheese, radishes, avocado, and a lime.
I don’t know about you but I need a lot of flavor to keep me satisfied. If I am eating food that is reminiscent of soggy newspaper it sets me up for a fall. A big fall. I may be able to do it for a day or maybe even a week but sooner or later (usually sooner) I’ll be hiding in the pantry with a jar of Nutella and a spoon.
Flavor is everything.
This beef pozole verde recipe has plenty of my favorite Tex-Mex flavor. It’s a great way to use the beef pot roast when you meal prep. You can certainly use raw beef but there’s no reason not to use a portion of cooked beef. It works just fine and makes it WAY quicker.
Beef pozole verde usually has hominy, which is corn that has been soaked in an alkali solution. The grain puffs up and gets a unique texture. You know as well as I do that it has a ton of carbs. I used cauliflower instead. I’m not going to tell you that it has the same texture or tastes the same but it does work well in this.
You can make it as spicy as you like by adding jalapenos. This beef pozole verde recipe freezes well so you can mix it up, seal it in your meal prep container, and freeze it. It’ll last in your fridge for several days, too.
I love this salsa verde! It has a fresh flavor and just the right amount of spicy heat for my tastes.
Table of Contents
Low Carb Beef Pozole Verde Recipe
Beef Pozole Verde Recipe: Low-Carb Tex-Mex
- 1/2 cup cooked shredded pot roast, about 1/4 of a pound raw beef
- 1/2 cup cauliflower broken into small cauliflowerettes and steamed until just tender
- 2 tablespoons salsa verde
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Ro*Tel tomatoes and juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese
- 1 sliced radish
- 1 tablespoon cubed avocado
- Lime wedge
- Add all pozole ingredients into a microwave safe dish (or a meal prep container).
- Heat until piping hot, about 2 minutes (or store for later if meal prepping).
- Add the toppings and a squeeze of lime before serving.
If you liked this low carb pozole recipe you may also like…