Green Chile Chicken Pasta that’s low carb? Just 8.5 net carbs for this filling dish that promises to solve all of your south of the border cravings.
For this recipe you’ll need: zucchini, boneless chicken breast, garlic powder, salt, pepper, butter, heavy cream, Hatch chiles (or other canned chiles), pimento, cumin, and shredded cheddar cheese.
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the Green Chile Chicken Pasta recipe.
It’s no secret how I feel about Mexican food, or Italian food for that matter. Warm, spicy flavors get me every time. Cumin tastes like summer to me and I can’t resist a chile. Add in some pasta and I could eat it every day. Sadly most of the dishes that I love are high in carbs.
And usually I’m not in love with zoodles. I keep trying.
I DO love pappardelle sliced zucchini, though. Sliced thin and delicate, these zucchini slices that really do seem like pasta to me. They are wide and really latch on to the various sauces that I put on them. One of my first tries with pappardelle zucchini resulted in this very Italian Low carb zucchini pappardelle with olives.
The sauce on here is more of a creamy glaze that holds all of the ingredients together. It’s super quick to make and will go together even faster if you have grilled chicken on hand. I didn’t have any cilantro but it would be fantastic chopped up on top. Don’t try to freeze this, though. I think the zucchini would turn to mush.
Give this green chile chicken pasta a try when you are trying to decide between Mexican and Italian. So yummy and a great way to use up all of that zucchini that’s in season right now!
Table of Contents
Green Chile Chicken Pasta Recipe
Green Chile Chicken Pasta (low carb with zucchini pappardelle)
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- Avocado oil
- 6 ounces chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Hatch brand chiles chopped
- 1 teaspoon pimento chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ounce cheese
- Slice the zucchini longwise with a mandolin or a vegetable peeler. The strips should be wide and thin.
- Cut the chicken breast into bite sized chunks and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add avocado oil to a heavy cast iron skillet and heat until it is very hot.
- Add the chicken and saute until the outside is golden brown.
- Turn the heat down and continue to cook until done (160F) in the center.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Quickly add the butter and heavy cream.
- Stir and scrape with the spatula to loosen up any bits of chicken that are stuck to the pan.
- If the pan is dry at this point add 1/4 cup water or chicken stock.
- Add the zucchini and stir gently until it is tender, 2 minutes or so.
- Add the chiles, pimento and cumin.
- Stir to cover all of the ingredients with the pan juices.
- Add the chicken.
- Top with cheese and serve.