This low carb hamburger vegetable soup in a light tomato broth is just right on a chilly day. It’s quick and easy, with lots of ground beef and cabbage “noodles”. Ro-Tel brand tomatoes give it just a little kick.
This low carb hamburger vegetable soup recipe is a recreation of a hamburger noodle soup that I used to love when I was a kid. It was discontinued, of course, a long time ago but I can still remember the flavor. The noodles were cut in three different sized and it was in a light tomato broth with plenty of ground beef in the bowl. I would have eaten it every day if I could have. The tomato broth was almost watery but there was something about that soup that just said?life is good?to me.
Let’s face it. The 1960s were the decade of convenience food. It sounds terrible now but back then those convenience foods didn’t have all of the chemicals and additives that they have now. They were pretty much what you’d make at home except in a can or in a freezer bag. It really wasn’t until the late 70s and early 80s that so many convenience foods became poison. It took my mom about 20 minutes to have the average dinner on the table and most of that time was in opening cans and preheating the oven! Campbells soup was pretty much always lunch during the winter. And that hamburger noodle soup was on the menu numerous times a week.
Recreating it for a regular high carb diet is pretty easy but for low carb? Not so much. I mean, a large portion of the soup was noodles! So I decided to use my favorite noodle replacement – cabbage. You could also probably do it with zucchini spirals but I haven’t tried. I would be afraid it would get too mushy during simmering. I used purple cabbage here but you can use green cabbage for a more “noodle-y ” look. In fact, if you plan on it for leftovers please do use the green. The purple turns a weird color that is perfectly suited for Halloween.
I used chicken stock rather than beef stock because the broth of the original soup wasn’t “beefy”. The chicken stock makes light and tomato-y just like I remember.?You can also make this in a slow cooker — the house smells amazing while it’s cooking. Give it a try – and don’t be afraid to adjust the flavor so its exactly like you remember it. It can be stored in the refrigerator for several days or frozen. I’ll warn you though, your family will likely love it as much as you do and there won’t be much left.
I think this would be awesome with some of the Low Carb Garlic Parmesan Bread Sticks from Low Carb Yum!
Table of Contents
Low Carb Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 ounces Onion diced
- 1 1/2 ounces Green pepper diced
- 1/2 ounce Celery diced
- 32- ounces Chicken stock
- 1 can Tomatoes Diced (about 14 oz)
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 pinch Stevia powder
- 1 ounce Cabbage sliced 1/2-inch wide
- 2 ounces Cabbage sliced 1/4-inch wide
- 2 ounces Cabbage sliced 1/8-inch wide
- Water as needed to thin the soup as it's cooking.
- Brown the ground beef in the olive oil in the bottom of a heavy stock pot.
- Add the onion, green pepper, celery, chicken stock, and tomatoes.
- Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste the broth and add salt to taste, garlic powder, vinegar, stevia, and cabbage.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the cabbage is very tender.
- Add water as necessary to keep the soup from getting too thick.
- Brown the ground beef.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients, except water.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- You probably won't need the water.