You’d never guess this yummy bourbon balls recipe is low carb! These classic holiday treats have less than one net carb each and they are SO easy to make. The do taste much better the second day so hide them away and try to resist eating them as soon as you make them. You can leave these keto-friendly treats with a plain chocolate coating or roll them in a sugar free Confectioners sugar substitute.
For this recipe you’ll need: butter, pecans, almond flour, powdered Swerve, bourbon, Lilly’s chocolate, and vanilla extract.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe.
Table of Contents
Keto Bourbon Balls Backstory
Bourbon balls are a Christmas tradition here in Texas — and probably most of the south. Sweet and chocolatey, they’ve got a definite bourbon kick with each bite. Sometimes, instead of being dipped in chocolate, they are rolled in powdered sugar.
Most bourbon ball recipes include vanilla wafers or graham crackers and I’ve just never found any low carb cookie that worked.
As I was going over the regular recipe again this year for cookie trays and gift baskets I wondered how it would work with pecans and almond flour. I mean, bourbon balls are Christmas! I was ready to try anything.
These are delicious but they are even better the second day. Keep in mind, these are full of raw bourbon so keep them away from the kids.
Bourbon Balls FAQs
Do bourbon balls have alcohol?
Absolutely, and they are not cooked so all of the bourbon is right there – this is an adults only treat!
How long can bourbon balls be stored?
Seal them tightly in a container with waxed paper between the layers, keep in the refrigerator, and expect them to last about 2 weeks.
Can bourbon balls be frozen?
Yes, prepare them for storage as above but put them in the freezer. They’ll be good for up to 3 months.
Can bourbon balls make you drunk?
You would have to eat quite a lot of them. I think you’d be sick from the sweetness before you were drunk.
Can you substitute rum for the bourbon in bourbon balls?
Yes you can – then they’re called rum balls.
Can you make these without alcohol?
You can use sugar free gingerale in place of the bourbon but it’s not as good and the flavor is totally different.
Tips for Making Low Carb Bourbon Balls Fat Bombs
- The bourbon balls are easiest to cover with chocolate when they are frozen. That’s when they are firm enough to stick a toothpick in and dip. The toothpick makes a very small hole and allows more of the surface of the bourbon ball to be covered at one time. I’m all about quick and easy.
- Letting them sit in the refrigerator overnight before serving helps the flavors to mellow and blend. Take the time to do it – it’s so much better.
- The bourbon ball mixture is very soft and so should be well chilled before using.
- If you’re using powdered erythritol you’ll need to reroll the bourbon balls in it just before serving – it tends to disappear.
- Melting the chocolate in a small coffee mug makes it easier to cover the bourbon balls.
More Keto Friendly Treats from Lowcarb-ology
I’d have a hard time staying on a low carb diet if I couldn’t have some of my favorite Southern holiday treats! Here are some of my favorites.
Low Carb Bourbon Balls Recipe
These bourbon balls are so good! People are always shocked that they’re “diet” food. If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars.
Low Carb Bourbon Balls Recipe
Bourbon Balls Filling
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces Lilly’s Milk Chocolate
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve
- Blend all of the ingredients for the bourbon balls filling in the food processor until smooth.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Form into balls with about 1/2 tablespoon of filling.
- Chill overnight or freeze for 30 minutes or until very firm.
- Dip each in melted chocolate coating and let set. Or roll in the powdered sweetener
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a cup placed in a pan of simmering water. Be sure not to get any water into the chocolate.
- Carefully dip the balls into the melted chocolate.
- Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and chill.
- Store in the refrigerator.