A low carb sweet potato casserole recipe that has a splash of bourbon to give it some extra wow. So, how do you go about making sweet potatoes low carb?
For this recipe you’ll need: cauliflower, pumpkin, egg, unsalted butter, heavy cream, bourbon, Xylitol, vanilla extract, maple flavoring, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, fresh nutmeg, salt and pepper.If you are in a hurry, feel free to Jump to the Recipe
By substituting pumpkin and cauliflower, of course!
One of my favorite holiday recipes is a bourbon sweet potato casserole that I have been making for years. If it’s on the table I will eat it, low-carbing or not. It is just too amazing to resist. So, when I was working on the low carb sweet potato mash recipe I made notes and plans to work on a make over of my beloved bourbon sweet potatoes.
They are cooked in a bain marie, a hot water bath, which keeps the heat very even. The texture ends up being very creamy with a caramelized type crust on top, like a really good pumpkin pie.
Pumpkin gives it the right color and flavor but the cauliflower (yes cauliflower) keeps the carbs as low as possible. When you add the bourbon and spices, cream and butter well, it is very, very holiday table worthy.
You know, the holidays should be about family, friends, and all of the magic that surrounds it but, let’s face it, it’s also about those traditional foods that we eat year after year. Food is a big part of our celebrations and traditions. When you are living low carb, especially in the early stages giving those foods up will almost always make you feel deprived. When you feel deprived you eat things you usually wouldn’t.
A Food Processor can make all of the difference when you are trying to recreate recipes and make them low carb. You can make almond flour, cream vegetables, grate cheese… if you don’t have one get the best you can afford. You’ll be surprised how much you’ll use it. It definitely makes low carb sweet potato casserole more doable.
Table of Contents
Lowcarb Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Give this a try… and consider subscribing by email so you don’t miss anything. I have several lowcarb holiday recipes in the works.
Low carb Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoons xylitol caramelized
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Pinch salt
- Generous pinch of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Caramelize the Xylitol
- Put Xylitol in a heavy pan and carefully stir over medium heat until it becomes a liquid.
- Stir it occasionally until it turns golden – watch it carefully.
- Set it aside.
- Cook the cauliflower until it is tender and soft.
- Drain well.
- Place in a food processor with the pumpkin, butter, cream, bourbon, and xylitol.
- Process until very smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg, flavorings, and spices.
- Process until creamy.
- Place in greased custard cups in a 13x 9 inch pan.
- Fill the 13×9 inch pan with hot water until it comes halfway up the sides of the custard cups.
- Bake at 350F until top is golden and center is firm, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.